Just Saying Hello from NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I Would like to say Hello to all here, i sign up not to long ago and i wish to tell you something about myself. Im a marine hobbyist for 50+ years now and yes, there be things i not know for no one could ever know it all. My specialty is Eels, Sharks and rays, but of course. out of all the hobbyists in the world, not even 1% would ever have a suitable size tank (Pond) for sharks as well as stingrays. And honestly, i believe that having a shark forum only convinces a good many beginners as well as novice hobbyists that they can have a shark.
The main thing here is, we take these animals out of their natural surroundings to hold them in a closed in tank which a good many things can go wrong. Im sure that many of you heard that the nutrients in your tank will rise high and that is one the reasons with my twin eel tanks that i do a water change weekly, and yes, it helps much maintaining low to untraceable levels of nitrates.
Now i moved just recently and only my eel tanks were moved in as yet and it looks as that it will be into another few months before my two reef tanks are setup at their new home. So if i can help anyone here keep their eels for a very long time. it would mean a lot to me for those who become successful for the long term of maintain their animals. And i will add that, you will hear that im somewhat of an overkill in my ideas but you must know that i was like many of you here just wetting my knowledge a bit but also in my early years, we had no books or Internet but just the same, im somewhat shock that with all the info available today with books and the net, that yet those mistakes i made in my start are continuing with the young people of today.
And sense that i have all your attention at this moment, i like to wish you all a very best of New Years :)
Buddy ><{{{{">

Welcome to AA, Lets hear more on FW rays (as i am thinking fo getting a tea cup ray) Welcome!

rubysoho, i guess you never had a moray as yet :?: You be quite surprised of how many dwarf morays there be :eek: I have a pair of dwarf Golden morays, they are now at FishWorld until my reef tanks are moved into my new home for i cannot have those dwarfs with my other Morays. The reef tank before i moved took me few months to get all corals and most the fish out, for now at this time, it has been about three months now that i not put any food in the 180 reef tank and im not surprised at all that a sixline wrasse is still alive.
A Happy new Years Folks :D
Buddy ><{{{{:>

SerLunchbox, Even for a FW ray as the teacup you need to have plenty of room for it to move and they move around more at night then anything. This would depend on what size tank you have any if any nippers might you have for ray, specially FW rays as these not live to long when you have agressive fish in as tank mates :(
So if you have a tank size as lets say is no less then 8' long, you mgith want to look into the idea a bit more and search on what you have now as tank mates in your tank before you ever get the teacup. But in all honesty, rays like in marine tanks should be only a ray tank or shark and ray tank and as seen in some photos, it be best to have fine sand bottom, but not to deep, only deep enough so your ray can bury itself, no rocky bottoms :cry: And these teacups are easy to keep :D
Happy New Years Folks :D
Buddy ><{{{{">

Back
Top Bottom