Just swimming in!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaBetta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I'm Ashton, I am a soon-to-be college student and athlete. I play soccer and I am completely new to fish keeping and I haven't even gotten my first tank set up or going yet. I am very excited though! My university has let me know that I can bring one 5gal tank with me to school, and since I will be a pre-veterinary student. I thought it would be fitting to bring a pet along, but I have been doing my research on fish (so that my fish will be healthy and happy!) and I look forward to meeting and speaking with all of you!

Welcome and congrats on pre vet! Couldn't talk my daughter into it unfortunately :rolleyes: What school will you be attending?

I'll be attending Lindenwood University-Belleville in Illinois! I hope she finds something better than helping animals then! Thanks for the welcome!

Sent from my XT1097 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She's a chem major, was going to go pre med but I think she's leaning towards research now.

Any ideas how you'd like to stock the 5g?

Hello and welcome. I have an idea for your tank that you might like. Since you seem so eager to learn about water creatures my suggestion is shrimp and plants, they aren't typically recommended for beginners but I think you can do it with practice and learning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She's a chem major, was going to go pre med but I think she's leaning towards research now.

Any ideas how you'd like to stock the 5g?

Well since I'm going to college, I was thinking something simple in the tank like a small betta and a buddy bottom-feeder (if the tank isn't too small) but I know that bettas are aggressive and I'd be pleased with just one and some plants, but I don't know anything about aquatic planting 0:

Hello and welcome. I have an idea for your tank that you might like. Since you seem so eager to learn about water creatures my suggestion is shrimp and plants, they aren't typically recommended for beginners but I think you can do it with practice and learning.

What kind of plants and shrimp would you recommend?

What kind of plants and shrimp would you recommend?

Red cherry shrimp, they are actually very, very easy to breed and pretty easy to keep. As for as plants, they would love java moss and moss balls. Some other plants and stuff you could have a little anubias on a driftwood...that's all the plants I know of. Autumnsky would know much more.

You could start with any of the Neo color varieties, red cherries just seem to be the easiest to find. They aren't particular about what types of plants they like so if lighting is low that's not a problem. Sponge filter is fine. They do best in an established tank though; adding things like leaves, cholla wood, etc help with growth of biofilm.

Also if you think shrimp will be boring and do nothing, oh boy are they active. They are so intresting to watch as they move around the tank

Red cherry shrimp, they are actually very, very easy to breed and pretty easy to keep. As for as plants, they would love java moss and moss balls. Some other plants and stuff you could have a little anubias on a driftwood...that's all the plants I know of. Autumnsky would know much more.

I have read that Marino moss balls are a good beginner plant? But thank you, I will definitely look into the shrimp!

You could start with any of the Neo color varieties, red cherries just seem to be the easiest to find. They aren't particular about what types of plants they like so if lighting is low that's not a problem. Sponge filter is fine. They do best in an established tank though; adding things like leaves, cholla wood, etc help with growth of biofilm.

What is the difference between a sponge filter and other kinds? And what is biofilm?

What is the difference between a sponge filter and other kinds? And what is biofilm?

Sponge filter is in tank and all debris and waste gut stuck in it and the water is cycled through, it is cheep and quiet. Other filters on the other hand suck water into a tub where the water is passed through different filters that over time create a biofilter which is a bunch of helpful bacteria that breakdown waste. Biofilm is micro algae and bacteria that grows and colonizes on plant leaves and other things and the shrimp love to eat it

Back
Top Bottom