Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kissing Gourami Eating

I have two kissing gouramis and i am not sure if the food i feed them is to there liking. They will sometimes eat it and then sometimes won't. What foods do they like? And i know they eat algee so is that why they are not always eating the foods i feed them??

Old 08-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiefish51
I have two kissing gouramis and i am not sure if the food i feed them is to there liking. They will sometimes eat it and then sometimes won't. What foods do they like? And i know they eat algee so is that why they are not always eating the foods i feed them??
I have a dwarf gourami and she likes flakes and brine shrimp. I started to mix in some tougher tropical fish pellets that the tetras take down np but she's not having it.
Hope that helps

Old 08-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiefish51 View Post
They are omnivores, so like a little bit of variety in their diet.

I have had many different gourami, and while they do seem to enjoy tropical flake food, their absolute favorite has always seemed to be algae wafers and other vegies. I will break up an algae wafer into a few pieces twice a day and put it in the tank. More than any other fish they like to nibble on it. You can even boil a zucchini or cucumber slice in the microwave, let it cool, and put that in. They love it.

Another thing to possibly consider is that if you have fast-moving fish like danios or barbs in the tank, they will often eat much of the flake food before the gourami has a chance to come to the surface. To help with this, I put a very small pinch of crushed flake food in a corner nearest the gourami. The other fish will eat it, but the gourami will see the commotion and smell the food, slowly coming to the surface to check it out. I will add a normal pinch after that and they seem to get their fill if they are in the mood for flake food.

Hope that helps a little!

Tags
eat, eating, gourami, kissing gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com