Latest addition to the community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7bubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody,

I am completely new to this hobbie. I bought a 40 gallon tank and I am in the process of setting it up. Las week was getting the filter and heater ready, washing gravel, placing some decorations, filling it up and getting the water ready. I understand it will take a couple of weeks to get it ready. Yes, I already bought a test kit and started checking the water. I even bought an app to keep the test log in my iPhone 

The obvious and more important stuff comes next: what fish should I get to start it. The guy at my local aquarium recommended to start with 2 or 3 Platies. Any thoughts or recommendations? What other fish would you recommend? How many fish should I keep in this size aquarium. All your comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming an active member in this forum 

Welcome and love how you labled the thread! I am a complete noob but I will say that a lot of people dont advise platties since they are livebearers. Keeping all female would work though, and if you want the frys, go ahead and try. Otherwise(and alot of people dont like this) they do work as feeder fish.

Back
Top Bottom