Learning more chemistry than I did in high school!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TBallad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I found this site as a result of a desperate Google search for any and all solutions to the mess that is my son's new 14 gallon tank. In one day I've learned more about chemistry than I did in a year of high school chem class.

We've had a lot of problems with ammonia, and since the last of the danios died last night will be starting a fishless cycle tomorrow. The last several weeks have been frustrating, but I'm optimistic that at least now we have a plan.

Welcome to AA!

This is very common in the hobby, so don't get discouraged. Stinks about losing all your fish, but it seems you've gained the necessary knowledge now to be successful in the future. Good Luck!

Welcome to AA, if your like me and really dont wanna put pure ammonia in the tank. Tgere is another option I have had great success with a couple of raw shrimp from the lical grocery store. Just drop them to the bottom of the tank and let them sit you'll get your ammonia spike pretty quick. Especially if you leave the aquarium lights on and the heater a little higher than normal. But either or the fishless cycle is the way to go.

Thanks everyone! I may try the raw shrimp method (although watching it rot in the tank isn't my idea of a good time) if I can't find pure ammonia.

If u use ammonia make sure it doesnt have any color dye surfactants alk that good stuff if you shake the bottle and it doesnt fizz or bubble you should be good!! Hope all goes well!!

a couple of quick questions - how much ammonia should I add to a 14 gallon tank to bring it from 2.0 to 4.0 ppm? And should I remove the decorations, plastic grass, etc first? I'm wondering if the ammonia would damage them....

I would leave the decorations thats where the good bacteria will grow and as far as the ammonia goes get a dropper bottle and count the drops its a long process but later on when you cut the dosage in half when you get your nitrite spike its a need to know so if your tank has 2.0ppm before any ammonia is added start with the eye dropper and put another drop in every time the tank turns over i think I did every 10-15 mins or so then check the ammonia levels again

Welcome aboard. Boy that sounds like a lot of work counting drops and all I would rather drop the two shrimp in and be done with it. That's my 2cents worth.... LOL
But any how welcome aboard to AA these guys here have really helped me out with all my questions.

Back
Top Bottom