Lengthy Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chisel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all...

Name is James. Friends call me Chisel ((shrug))

For the longest time I have been wanting to do a saltwater tank. Finally, about 4 months ago, a friend of mine who has a 120g decided to just give me a 55g tank, stand and canopy. So I dove in head first. My buddy rigged up some temp lights for me and I was off. After about 50 lbs of live rock and live sand, i let it cycle. My first life in the tank was an Aptasia which I was of course fascinated with before my buddy schooled me on them. ((Joe's Juice works wonders)) Anyways, my water parameters were perfect so i had purchased my first SW fish.....a pair of juvenile Ocellaris Clownfish. They didn't last 14 hours. I later found out that the whole batch of them didn't make it in the store. Turns out that chloriform is used sometimes to subdue fish to make it easier for them to be caught in the wild. Sometimes the fish never recover. Ok, enought about that. (it pisses me off)

I now have a thriving tank (will post pics later).

55g
Current USA SunDial 48" T5 HO 4x54W w/ Timers & LED
Rena XP2 Canister Filter
Koralia 2, Maxi-Jet 1200 + outflow from Rena
Livestock: 1 Niger Triggerfish
1 Gold Banded Maroon Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty
3 Staghorn Damsels
1 Sally Lightfoot (hitchhiker)
3 Emerald Crabs (hitchikers)
1 Black Brittle Starfish (hitchiker)
1 unidentified crab (hitchiker)
2 unidetified snails (hitchikers)
1 Blue Leg Hermit
1 Very light green BTA (just added this weekend)
1 rock with about 5 red mushrooms (just added this weekend)

As you can tell, i've come a long way in my 4 months of SW and am loving it!! Yes, all those hitchikers came on the same rock by the way. So far, everything is going good. Of course, my tank is a work in progress still but arent they always? ;) Matter of fact, today is 20% water change for me. Gotta love it!

Nice to meet you.

I forgot, I do have a side pic of the tank right now. I have more at home and will post later. This pic was taken before the BTA, shrooms and a little more rock. Like I said....work in progress.

Attachments

• fulltankca5.jpg
    fulltankca5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 66
That trigger hasn't eaten any of your inverts? Nice tank by the way.

The Niger is the most reef safe of all the triggers so i took a chance. So far, he hasnt touched anything else but food.

Welcome aboard. I see you are venturing out to corals. I had a coral beauty and it was great for 4 yrs till all of a sudden it almost wrecked my reef. Keep a close eye out.

Welcome aboard. I see you are venturing out to corals. I had a coral beauty and it was great for 4 yrs till all of a sudden it almost wrecked my reef. Keep a close eye out.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been watching her. I noticed that she is already pecking at the rocks. I just couldnt resist the urge to go that one step further from FOWLR. Knowing that I was only one item away from going coral was driving me nuts. :) Even though she is one of the most beautiful fish, if i had to, I would make her trigger food. Hahahaa....Just kidding ;). Really, I would have no problem with sombody taking her off my hands if that time came.

I've talked to two different people who have reef tanks. They almost have me talked into one, but my Bluegill are just too much fun.

Great looking tank, by the way.

How far south are you? Some of my best friends actually are eagle fans :p

welcometoaa.gif

I was referring to Chisel, the originator of this thread. You should add that info to your profile. Click on UserCP at the top of the page.

Back
Top Bottom