Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-07-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Long-time pet owner, first time tank maintainer~

Hey all! This is Rythos, as I am known across the web from DA and beyond.

I've owned pets for YEARS, from dogs to cats to hamsters, and I helped take care of many different exotics during my veterinary technician training. However, while I owned a couple bettas in fishbowls as a young kid, I barely remember them, and we did not care for fish in tech training. (As they're generally considered "disposable pets", unfortunately)

A couple months ago, my brother and sister-in-law gave me a 10 gallon tank, complete with a heater/filter combo, for free, since they no longer needed it. (It was one of their big sick tanks for their much, much larger saltwater tank, but they'd switched over to freshwater during that time.) Having already been looking at getting a tank to help me, as I'd been having some emotional instability and found fish very, very soothing, I took this offer in a heartbeat.

So last Wendesday, desperate for a fish but lacking many supplies, I picked up a betta, along with one plant, and some food. The tank was bare and "boring" for a short while, though I was more than happy to have my new companion and he more than happy for the new space, but today I got gravel, more plants, a big ceramic dragon, and three panda corydoras. I was very careful and did research before getting more fish, so that I knew how many of what kind I should get to get along well with my betta. ^^

SO. I stumbled across this site, and, well.. it seemed active. People seemed nice, and they genuinely care about their fish. I liked that. LOVED it. Fish aren't just disposable. They're unique. Already I see my three corys having totally different personalities! I'm excited to get to know them better.

Sooo I joined this community. I hope you'll have me - I'm very happy to be here, and very excited to begin my journey into the world of aquarium keeping. <3

Rythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to the forum!!!

Make sure you read up on the nitrogen cycle, if you don't know about it already.

dkpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA Rythos!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks so much for all the welcomes, guys! <3 It means a lot to me. ^^
Rythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We are all sure you have a ton of questions, so START ASKIN!!!
"Never argue with a idiot, they will drag you down to there level then beat you with experience." "One never needs their humor as much a when they argue with a fool."
Andrewz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, and Welcome to AA!!!!!

drobertson is offline   Reply With Quote

betta, corydoras, first tank, introduction, long, maintain, rythos, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com