Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Long winded intro

Hi all! I found browsing the forum to be incredibly helpful, so I thought joining would be even more so. I'm new here, but not new to the hobby. I'm 20, but I've been involved in the hobby for at least half my life. I'm just now getting back into it. I moved a few years ago to Metro Atlanta and only just recently found a great lfs within a reasonable distance. Until then, I hated getting critters from Petsmart (not that I didn't get a few impulse fish now and then) so my involvement dwindled. Now that I'm back into it, I've found that I really love planted tanks. I've had some success with a very low tech 10g, but I'll be posting for help with my 55g. My old oscar died and left the tank to me in his will, so I finally get to do something attractive with it!
I'd also like to do more breeding. The only species I've actively bred were Bettas, but I've had Neolamprologus spawn (they were awesome) and of course various livebearers. Right now I've got a pair of kribs in the 55, but I don't know if they'll spawn in a community environment. They're certainly much more active and colorful in there than they were in a 10g, so I suppose they're happier. Other guys in the tank include a 10 inch Rhino pleco (Glyptoperichthys scrophus, I think - the tiny kribs attack him when he gets too close, to no avail) and 4 Alestes chaperi tetras. I also have a leopard ctenompoma (acutirostre) fattening up before he goes in there, with plans to add another one, and a severum (or two?). Other suggestions are welcome too!

I go on and on about this tank because its really the only one I'm focusing on. Unlike almost everyone else in the hobby, I'm actually decreasing my number of tanks and consolidating the inhabitants into the 55. I'm lucky enough that they're all compatible. This is mostly because all my other tanks are only 10gs, and I realize these are too small to be permanent homes. Also, I'd rather throw all my money and energy into making one really spectacular tank then dividing it between a bunch of little ones.

The only other fishies I have are some beautful white bettas: Cameo, Escher, and Banquo's Ghost - he's almost 4 years old.

Thanks for reading all that. Brevity is not my strong point. I'm looking forward to getting help here, and giving it where I can

Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA!!!!

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Welcome to AA Mosaic.

That is quite a story you have there and I look forward to seeing you make the plunge to Planted.

Just want to caution you about one thing. Whatever you do, do not ask for any therapy regarding multiple tank syndrome. You're not likely to recieve any here.
Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! I'll second what JC says about not receiving any real help for MTS. LOL, I haven't.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com