looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angel11o

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys, just newbie here and even in tanks! i guess i found a hobby that will surely worth the money and even the effort,
im planning to build a tank at least 50g, i just want to know what kind of fishes can u combine with an silver aro?
thanks...

Hi, before you think about stocking your aquarium make sure you cycle it first, it's worth the effort or you could kill off all the fish introduced into an uncycled tank take some time and read this first: please don't take offence at the title lol!!.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

when your tank is cycled get some easy to keep species like Zebra Danios,and maybe some livebearers, swordtails, platies, guppies, endlers etc. I'm sure some more experienced members will be along soon to give you some great advice. Good luck with your fishkeeping.

Pete

 thanks guys this are the best advice i thought after u buy the tanks filters and other accesories then u can put the fishes that u like, b4 im just worried what other fishes i can mix up, now im just worried how am i goin to cycle the water other than that i think ill b ok as long as i start cycling the water, now i cant wait to set it up THANKS GUYS 

Hey welcome to AA :D As you can clearly tell, everyone on here is super friendly and willing to help :D Be sure to post a new build thread as you start your tank up :D Including pictures is always nice, we love looking at them :D
As everyones saying, fishless cycling is the most humane way to go about (Lots of us have done the fish-in cycle simply because we had no knowledge until now) But fishless is highly recommended, its great that your planning ahead :D It will take time for the cycle but it'll be worth it :)

angel11o said:
 thanks guys this are the best advice i thought after u buy the tanks filters and other accesories then u can put the fishes that u like, b4 im just worried what other fishes i can mix up, now im just worried how am i goin to cycle the water other than that i think ill b ok as long as i start cycling the water, now i cant wait to set it up THANKS GUYS 

It's really not all that difficult to cycle a tank. If your nervous, we can walk you through it. There are lots if experienced fish keepers on here that have done this again and again, and are happy to help!

 i was thinking if i have to cycle the tank for how many days to have good bacteria do u guys think by using CREEK water its gonna make cycling faster

thanks

Welcome to AA, it's good to see you're doing your research.

Do keep in mind that arowanas need tanks considerably larger than 50 gals when you plan your tank. :)

yap been thinking about that too but with all the advices by cycling the tank first i might end up getting cichlid just to know if the tank is ready for arowana but with all things i have to do i wonder if CREEK H2o would be considered as to use in the tank and to think it will be faster  to cycle the water

i think ill just have to stay away with th creek h2o then, im going to set it up asap, i just cleaned the tank that i just recently bought

new hobby new adventure 

Hi Angel11o, please avoid using water from your local creek, it could contain diseases, pollutants, parasites and other undesireable nasties. it would be much safer to use ordinary declorinated tapwater, much better for your fish long term.

Pete

i just bought nutrafin cycle and aqua plus and ammonia test kit i just hope im on the right track here hehe

maybe later today ill just put water in the tank and just let the filter running together with the heater and just let the ammonia's reading be zera

ill stay away from creek's h2o bad bad idea 

thank u thank u

But it wont hurt anything either. Especially if you're starting from scratch. Just make sure you have ammonia present for it to eat. That is my opinion and the bacteria in the bottle worked for me.

Deckape said:
But it wont hurt anything either. Especially if you're starting from scratch. Just make sure you have ammonia present for it to eat. That is my opinion and the bacteria in the bottle worked for me.

Ya... It works, just make sure you look at the expiration date... If it's expired, the bacteria is dead, and it won't do much.

i went to petcetera yesterday and asked about ammonia and this guy told me they dont have it and ammonia is the fish poo and urine abd everything ammonia is bad and so on and so it ended that i got a lecture from him and end up buying ammonia test kit instead

now im super duper confused with this ammonia thing, 

so guys i have to buy ammonia and mic it in with the water? then test the ammonia?

angel11o said:
i went to petcetera yesterday and asked about ammonia and this guy told me they dont have it and ammonia is the fish poo and urine abd everything ammonia is bad and so on and so it ended that i got a lecture from him and end up buying ammonia test kit instead

now im super duper confused with this ammonia thing, 

so guys i have to buy ammonia and mic it in with the water? then test the ammonia?

Take a look at Eco's article. It explains the process in detail.

Back
Top Bottom