Looking for Crab Lovers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El Gato Loco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hullo folks!
Been surfing around the Web, lookin' for info on fiddlers & red claws (which is pretty sparse actually) since I haven't been able to find any books on the subjects. It was suggested by my tarantula forum to give some aquarium sites a look (shoulda been obvious but sometimes I'm thick as a rock).
So here I am. I have 1 big ol' fiddler named Huell in a 20 gallon brackish tank, 5 red claws (2 males, Josh & Choo-choo & 3 females, Bertha, Freckles & Skitter) in a 30 gallon brackish tank. I also have a Chilean Rose tarantula named Ishi & 2 cats, Gupie & Crooklyn, but I know they don't count here! And I have the desire to get some kind of fully aquatic crab for my 1 gallon mini-tank, if such is possible. I was looking at a "fire crab" but haven't found any info (not even a scientific name) & I don't want to buy another critter without some idea of its care. Anybody heard of "fire crabs" & could point me in the right direction? & I would love any info on my other crabbies too, if there's any to be had!
Glad to have found y'all!

Welcome to aa, that's cool that you have brackish setups. I'd like to get into brackish one day. I'm sure there are some who know about crabs but that's not me. And all animals count here (not sure about cats) but I count my snakes lol

So I went through the entire Inverts forum. Still seems only a few peeps are into crabbies, at least in comparison to shrimps & snails. But I still got my learn on & subscribed to that forum. I can only hope for the dialog for crabs to expand in the future! I would love to know more, maybe even enough to write a much needed reference book for the keeper & LFSs alike. Mebbe if there was less misinformation, more people would be into keeping these awesome lil' homies. If there is anyone out there who is down to talk crab, please keep me in mind!

>-{ i i}< pinch! pinch!

@ The Community Cichlid- While going through the Inverts forum, I came across the Potamonautus orbitospinus (Malawi Crab) which is a good-sized (4 inch carapace) fully aquatic crab from the same environment as cichlids & (at least according to the thread) can be kept with cichlids. I hella dig cichlids! So now have a new dream tank... Have you ever heard of these crabbies?

Hey, Welcome to the forum! I love tarantulas, i might be getting a rose-hair. Thai micro crabs are a fully aquatic freshwater crab so you may want to look into those. They're perfectly small for a 1 gallon tank.

@ Surfer- I may just look into a Thai micro-crab. I have a gut feeling that may be the mystery "fire crab" I'd been eyeballing at my LFS, after looking at some pics posted on the Invert forum. I hope so, anyways!
I love my Chilean rose hair! Trying to get sexing down because I hate saying "its"...

Back
Top Bottom