Looking for Starter Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

My name is Jonathan and I'm kind of interested in having a small fish tank.

However, I don't want to go to Wal-Mart and get a little box with a single Goldfish.

So, any links to start-up info on stuff and any beginner advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Aboard!

Here's one link you'll want to have on hand: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

As for goldies, they need 20g for the first and 10g for each additional one at some point, so research/ask about fish you're interested in first is my best suggestion. You could look at getting a betta for a 5 or 10g tank with some shrimp. I'd also suggest window (tank) shopping around your LFS (local fish stores) while your tank cycles so you get good fish stock and don't have to deal with an ill/sick fish right off the bat.

Is this you first tank? If so, you should know that many found one is never enough lol.

Have fun and feel free to read the many stickies with good info, and search threads that might answer (or create) questions you have.

Yes, this is my first ever.

Any advice finding a good local store?
I live in a fairly small town in upstate SC, so I don't know of any around.

Consider the purchase of used equipment. Often good deals are available on Craig's list or local papers. Bigger tanks are easier (generally) to look after than small ones.

Starting with the basics, I guess, is there anything to stay away from in used tanks?

JonC said:
Starting with the basics, I guess, is there anything to stay away from in used tanks?

Petco is having a $1 per gallon sale right now so that's something to consider.

As for used tanks, inspect the silicone for cracks/drying and glass for scratches.

Back
Top Bottom