Looking into the SW world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriszzo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been wanting to get into the sw hobby and do not have any experiece with it, I recently was offered a used setup (50 gal. tank), ... Im open to any suggestion, opinion, and experiences anyone may have that may help guide me to my decision..
Also, with this setup i plan on thoroughly cleaning everything, before doing so I want to make sure i do it right, how should i go about doing this?
Thank you

Start reading around in the getting started section. There is also a list of essential and suggested equipment you can check against what you are being offered.

Vinegar, hot water and some elbow grease has always worked for me. No specific ratio really.

Start reading books. If you have not read much yet then get a beginner's handbook. Then get some that just profile different species. Then get books particular to what you want to keep.

What do you want to keep in it? Are you wanting just fish or a reef?

I think I will look into that today... thank you
Really I was thinkin about doin a reef tank but from what I have read so far those are a lil harder to get started... what I wanted to do and this was before I read a lil was to get a tank goin with a variety of aquatic life, so now think I will start of getting it goin..lol

That is a good way to setup yourself up for some problems. You should read and research before setting things up. If you set it up and then research you will find mistakes and things you wished you did differently. Then you either stick with something that doesn't work as well or spend even more money to get it going right.

Unless you are set on things that are absolutely not reef safe I woudl plan on going reef. Even if you plan to do FOWLR most likely as the months go by and you get better and more confortable with the tank, along with seeing all the corals at the LFS, you will want to do reef. So anything that gets added before then should be safe to stay if you do reef.

Yeah I agree I don't wanna waste the money, I'm gonna to head up to boarders books and look for some books today.. thank u very much

Take notes as you read, both for your future cheat sheet and to ask questions on here.

Books are great, but I honestly learned everything I needed to know about setting up and keeping a SW tank from everyone on here. Often I find beginner books to be slanted towards certain methodologies and don't go into the detail required.

Fishguy is correct though, whether it be articles on here, online, or books, notes will help you SO much. We are on here to help you out, even if it means answering some of the age old newbie questions. It's only a dumb question if you ask it after you do it.

What books did you read?

Online can be good but it is very risky. With online knowledge you will get a method that works, not necessarily one that works well or is even close to one of the best methods out there.

Everything that everyone is giving me is definatly helping, especialy yesterday i decided to check out a couple LFS found out who not to deal with...lol... but the best way for me is to read books, get info on here, and as well talk to the LFS...

Fishguy: hey one of LFS I checked out is selling their water at .50/gal, he said its stage 6 RO water they make themselves what's your take on that? Am I able to test the water to tell if its what he says it is and what's your suggestion for the water?

.50 for RO/DI is pretty standard. Most places will also sell SW from .75-1.00.

Ask them last time they replaced their filters, and ask if they have a TDS meter to check. Your TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) should be at 0. They should have replaced the filters within the last 6 months.

Ditto. Either ask them to test it in front of you or buy a cheap TDS meter on ebay and check it yourself. It should be 0, but single digits is acceptable (and indicates a need for new filters as stated).

Back
Top Bottom