Looky, another new member :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CandC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! A Daddy and daughter team here. I've been lurking for a while now, soaking up loads of info, and finally got round to registering and saying hello.

Daddy's Tank...
60l tropical with a mixed shoal of pristella and black widow tetras, 2 gold gouramis, an albino red finned shark and a gold algae eater. There are also some stones, driftwood, plants and grrr snails (which aren't overtaking thanks to the lettuce trick :D )

Daughter's Tank...
60l coldwater that's home to two comets called "Fish" and "Tank". Yes, you guessed it, my darling daughter chose the names lol.

Yes, I'm aware that both tanks will need upgrading as the fish get bigger and as finances allow, but for now my API master test kit and weekly PWC are keeping the water tip top.

Thanks to the admin for providing this wonderful resource and to all the members who are willing to share their experience.

Welcome to aa I'm new to the forum as well. Do you have pics? I was quickly told to post pics of my tank lol.

Welcome! Glad you found us!
I'm curious about your gold gouramis. Do they get along with each other and everyone else? I've always wanted one but heard they are aggressive.

Welcome to AA a great place I also would like to see pics ^_^ we all like pics here on AA!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome :) pics and a proper reply to follow after my little one is settled for the night (technology permitting!)

Ok, here goes....

Fingers crossed, we will have a picture of my tropical tank, then the coldwater and then a closeup of Fish and Tank!

tropical.jpg

cold.jpg

fishandtank.jpg

As for the gold gouramis, George and Mildred, they seem to get along well enough with all the other inhabitants. They happily swim past the other fish who unhurriedly shuffle out of their way. Most of the time, they get along well with each other too but when George wants his "me time" he will swim at Mildred, prompting her to hide behind a plant. There's never been any biting though and neither of them have suffered any torn fins etc.

Having said that though, it works for me, for now. Other gold gouramis may not act the same. All I can do is answer from my own experience.

CandC said:
Ok, here goes....

Fingers crossed, we will have a picture of my tropical tank, then the coldwater and then a closeup of Fish and Tank!

As for the gold gouramis, George and Mildred, they seem to get along well enough with all the other inhabitants. They happily swim past the other fish who unhurriedly shuffle out of their way. Most of the time, they get along well with each other too but when George wants his "me time" he will swim at Mildred, prompting her to hide behind a plant. There's never been any biting though and neither of them have suffered any torn fins etc.

Having said that though, it works for me, for now. Other gold gouramis may not act the same. All I can do is answer from my own experience.

Nice! Thanks for the pics and info!

You're welcome Hholly and thanks Fishie. Glad you both liked the pics :) The driftwood was the result of a morning wading in some local rivers searching for the right piece and an afternoon pressure washing, scrubbing with a wire brush and boiling in a large stock pot.

I'm sure that all the hiding places from the plants, hollows in the wood, coconut shell and half coffee mug play a big part in keeping the peace. They aren't used all the time, but are there when needed.

Jello ,Chris & Charlotte,
Craig & Christine
Conner & Caroline.

Sorry just trying to guess names ;)
Impressive tanks, both of them, im pretty sure fish and tank love spongebob!! :L
Welcome to AA.
Just a heads up those comets are fine in that tank ,at least for another 6 years :').
Lets hope in 6 years you will have a reef tank and your daughter will be wanting a tropical African cichlid tank . :p

Enjoy your time here!!

Haha good guesses viper, but wrong on all counts :)

That's good to hear about the comets and kind of what I was hoping too. They were, until about a month ago, in a 28 litre with a much smaller filter. The switch to the 60L with the much bigger filter has got them a lot more active, playing in the current and foraging over the gravel almost all the time their light is on.

I'm not sure about the reef tank in 6 years time, but we shall see. The cichlids tank sounds good though.

Another thing I would like to try at some stage is a long tank with some serious moulded background and bottom with strong current to simulate a mountain stream. Anyone know if this has successfully been done before?

Oh fizzles :( haha.
It was worth a try , :).

And yes ,oh yes ,there is a perfect thread that i will link for you, a lovely lady called alyssa did the exact same as you have in mind and its worked out brilliantly.
I hope your going to put a large shoul of congo tetra in there ;) and some cool catfish :) (just mere suggestions)

Ive tryed linking but it wont work, but if you search for a thread called 'can i use concrete for scaping?' You should find it :)

Viperchaos said:
Oh fizzles :( haha.
It was worth a try , :).

And yes ,oh yes ,there is a perfect thread that i will link for you, a lovely lady called alyssa did the exact same as you have in mind and its worked out brilliantly.
I hope your going to put a large shoul of congo tetra in there ;) and some cool catfish :) (just mere suggestions)

Ive tryed linking but it wont work, but if you search for a thread called 'can i use concrete for scaping?' You should find it :)

Oh wow, so cool!! That's the sort of thing I had in mind. Thank you. That coupled with a high flow filter taking from one end of the tank and returning to the other... Oooh now, all I need is a little lottery win lol

Thats perfect conditions for a long tank :) all we need now is a long tank, long pay slip, long break off work :')

Thats all, just a few things really! :D :/

Back
Top Bottom