Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Love watching water cycle

I am new to salt water aquariums and just starting my 29gal FOWLR. So Far I have 20 lbs of crushed coral, 10 lbs of live sand, an Emperor 350 HOB filter and a coralife 50-50 bulb. I have had water in my tank already and the filter running for just about a week now but that is about it. My SG is steady at 1.023. I plan on introducing my live rock late next week after the tank has been running for about 2 weeks. I am going fishless cycle the tank and have tried using the shrimp method for about 3 days before my wife made me take it out.

I am planning on a stocking my tank with a clown fish, anemone, turbo snails and a blue leg hermit crab. I would like to add one more fish and am considering a blennie but have not made up my mind yet.

I do not even have my 29g setup with fish yet and am looking to get a 55g. I plan on setting up the 29g and having that up for a bit while I get the supplies for the 55g. I have been doing research for the last 3 months before I even added water to my tank but am still very nervous. I will keep you posted of the progress.

trindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. Glad you found us. Be careful getting the anenome. They need a well established tank of about a year. That way your water parameters are stable and not bouncing all around. Also your lighting is not enough for an anenome. You`ll need a more intense lighting system for it to survive. Keep us updated on the tank. Good luck with it.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA, and I'd suggest reading more about crushed coral vs fine aragonite sand. Might wanna switch before you get too deep into establishing the tank. Crushed coral is notorius for being a nitrate factory and very hard to clean down the road. Can't tell you how many posts at this site ask advice on how to remove it and replace it with sand.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Welcome, not a salty! But a lot of really great salt water experts here!
If you ever need help just message me
Have you given Any Thanks lately? If not, do so!

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com