Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Making the switch from freshwater to salt

I am new to this site and really enjoy all of the information that is shared. I have had a 45 gallon freshwater semi-aggresive community aquarium for 12 years. I recently decided to move this aquarium to my office and purchased a 54 gallon bow front corner aquarium for my home.

I have not set up my new aquarium yet but was considering making it a salt water aquarium. I decided to do diligent research to see if I could handle the maintenance required for a saltwater tank. My Dad who is also an aquarium enthusiast tried his hand at a saltwater tank 40 years ago and says it is not worth the trouble. By everything I have read on line, it appears the hobby has changed so much over the past 20 years, that they are no longer as hard to keep.

I do like the ease of my freshwater aquarium. Any advise anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

There are some great "getting started" write ups in the articles section. SW husbandry has advanced incredibly in the last couple decades.

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Welcome to AA. I enjoy the simplicity of FW so I can't speak much to SW tanks. Post in the SW forums and you might get a better response and/or guidance. Good luck and again welcome.
RedFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome. I love my SW! They are great! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I find that saltwater tanks (especially reef tanks ) are really mind boggling,...the more you get into it ,the cooler it gets,...ask questions..and enjoy the build.
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote

freshwater, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com