Man have things changed in last 30 years!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherryD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, hello all! It's nice to meet you!
So I decided to get back into having fish when my stress level with school went through the roof. I remembered how relaxing watching the fish was when I was much, much (no laughing at the old lady!) younger. Back then I went out bought the tank with all the stuff needed to set it up and the fish to put in it at the same time! I did know about the stress coat stuff but nothing else. I set up the tank, threw in the fish, and sat back to watch them. I never lost any fish and only changed the water (complete change) when it started looking gross. So in all my brilliance I did just that this time around! :eek: (believe it or not I do actually have a brain in my head, x-rays to prove it!)
So went out, bought 2 55 gallon tanks and all needed to set them up, water in and filters going that night. Went out over next few days and added a bunch of fish (1 tank for me 1 for my daughter who is also stressed in college) Did not buy test kits because I had no idea I needed them! I did remember rule about one inch of fish per gallon so when I ran out of inches/gallons I went out and bought 56 gal tank. Then my first crisis...one of my corycats (love those cute little critters!) developed a sore on his side in front of his fin...so I finally remembered that you can find any information on Internet and went looking for answers. I found you guys at that time, also found out about cycling tanks, hospital tanks, quarintine tanks, testing water, water changes, (thank goodness I also read about pythons after several weeks of lugging 5 gal buckets of water!) and everything else I have done wrong.:nono: By the way treated Cory with salt in hospital tank, he did great and is back in the 55 swimming with his buddies.
After all that, the 2-55 gallon tanks are well on the way to being cycled-ammonia levels maintaining at .25 or less, nitrites spiking but kept below 2 with water changes every 3rd day and nitrates at 20 or less. 56 gallon just starting to show nitrites, water changes every other day, 5 and 10 gallon have 1 and 2 gallon water changes daily to keep ammonia levels at .25 or less.
Now my new crisis is in the 56 gallon tank...I have ich...treating with heat and salt. Spots are only on 2 bleeding heart tetras. Lost one swordtail, no clue why, everyone else looks fine, is eating, and no spread of ich to other fish so far. Started treatment 3 days ago after reading through several threads. I like the idea of no chemicals so hope this works.
I want to thank you all for all the advice, this forum seemed to be the best fit for me, even if I did start out as an idiot, you all have given me some great information and hopefully I won't lose too many fish...I kinda like the little critters! And I have learned a lot. Oh the test kit I am using is the API master test kit for freshwater

Welcome! Fish keeping is relaxing once you get the right information! Everyone here is very helpful and will answer any questions you may have.

I used pails to do water changes until I got my 40 gallon, my back thanks me every week when a water change is due!

Welcome back to the hobby. Folks are nice here and will give you honest feedback also.

Corys are not good with salt. I am suprised the salt treatment didn't do more harm than good. If you are going to use medication then remove your carbon if you are running it in your filters. It will remove the medicine and then you're just adding the medication for nothing

Welcome again and hope you find the relaxation you're looking for again.

Hi and welcome to AA and back to the hobby. I also kept fish years ago, although they were SW and all that entailed. So I REALLY did not know what I was getting into, but somehow the fish and I are muddling through quite well, with the help of these wonderful folks. I know they'll be a great help to you too.

Back
Top Bottom