Mini aquarium tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sumeet Pande

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello i use to had 10 gallons aquarium tank before...But now i started with a 2.5 gallon mini aquarium...But i am confused as i didn't know what and how many fish i should keep please help...

Hello i use to had 10 gallons aquarium tank before...But now i started with a 2.5 gallon mini aquarium...But i am confused as i didn't know what and how many fish i should keep please help...
What are you trying to keep?

A single betta is about the only option for a 2.5 gallon.

You'll need a small (25-50 watt heater) and a small filter of some sort too.

Shrimp will work well, and a single snail.

Z is spot on here. Very limited for a 2.5g. My son keeps a Betta in a 2.5g with a single nerite snail. Here's an idea for a filter and heater......

API SUPERCLEAN 10 INTERNAL POWER FILTER Aquarium Internal Filter 1-Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NMUXAI4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rUJvBbND2CTX4

Betta Heater --- Fully Submersible Silica Aquarium Heater - Maintains Stable Water Temperature for Bettas automatically – 50 Watts – Durable, Waterproof & Shatterproof https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C6T423P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CXJvBb9JQ2VBQ

A single betta is about the only option for a 2.5 gallon.

You'll need a small (25-50 watt heater) and a small filter of some sort too.

Shrimp will work well, and a single snail.
Yes I also got to know from various sources ...But can I keep betta and shrimps both....One more doubt is that can a small aquarium be converted into natural aquarium

Yes I also got to know from various sources ...But can I keep betta and shrimps both....One more doubt is that can a small aquarium be converted into natural aquarium

They can, but you would have to follow this process:

Choose the correct shrimp for your tank, most likely a color variant of the neocardina (cherry shrimp) type.

Plant the tank from day 1. The more plants the better.

Get the plants growing nicely while the tank cycles itself. To aid in this you can dose the tank up to 0.5ppm ammonia, let that fall and repeat a few times while the plants grow.

After the plants are growing nicely, make sure ammonia/nitrite is 0 and nitrates are below 20ppm.

Add 10 or so shrimp. After a few months they should have bread enough to support a nice colony.

Add a single betta and hope he doesn't constantly chase shrimp. He will definitely eat a few juveniles, adults should be safe, but there should be enough survivors to keep the colony alive.

Plants that will work in a simple low-tech 2.5 gallon:

Crypt parva
Crypt lutea 'hobbit'
Rotala / ammania 'bonsai'
Anubias nana 'petite'
Possibly alternanthera reineckii 'mini'
Pogostemon helferi
Bacopa sp. 'compact'
Blyxa japonica
Littorella uniflora
Bucephalandra
Lobelia cardinalis