Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My family things this site is awful...

So... I've been a member for only a couple of days and I'm already contemplating some crazy things. Basically I'm looking at quitting my job in the next few weeks so I can stay on here full time to read all of the amazing articles and build everything from a new stand to a RO/DI filter myself, not to mention the thoughts of building an addition onto my house so that I can have enough space to attempt to duplicate each and every single one of the amazing setups I've seen on here. I just haven't seen any posts in the DIY section on how to dig your own basement yet so that thought's been put on the back burner.

I currently have a 29 gallon semi-planted community tank, meaning that it has some planted areas with Flourite and some areas with plain gravel with a few pieces of slate keeping the substrate separate. I'm definitely trying to do the whole Taliesin style and make it look as "local" as possible, so most of the slate and gravel came from within 100 yards of my house, well boiled of course. Don't worry, the plants and fluorite came from the LFS, as I couldn't figure out a way to boil them without making soup.

I have a few black skirt tetras, platys, and sword tails to keep it easy. I've thrown in an oddly luminescent cory and a handful of ghost shrimp for a little moving flair, but somehow I've managed to raise a new species of rams horn snails that apparently multiply at the cellular level. I try to thin them out with the old piece of lettuce overnight trick, but I'm a big softie and I end up taking them all down to the stream behind my house. I'm guessing they're either being eaten there or they're starting a new civilization where I will be revered as some sort of a holy man, not sure which yet.

I've got another 3 gallon acrylic tank that I keep on my desk with some of the more interesting snails and extra plants I had. No fish, I just like the sound of the water running through the filter. I also have two empty tanks just waiting on new ideas. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle the SW tanks just yet, if I do I would probably go with just a few fish and a lot of invertebrates as those just seem more interesting to me. I was thinking about maybe even a FW with sand and live rock to see if that was even possible. But I've got a lot more reading to do on the site before I try that.

Anyway, I figured I'd jump in and say hi and point out how my family is very upset that I've found you guys. They think I've joined a cult. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have started cutting my own hair at around the same time I joined here, but I need to start saving my nickels and dimes to keep up with you guys. Besides, I think they'll understand when I seal the guest room with silicon and create the worlds first walk-in aquarium. I'm not sure how the door will work just yet, but I'm sure you guys will have some suggestions.

Thanks and see you around.

PrawnShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
very interesting ideas. welcome to aa . my family doesnt like this sight that much either because every time i read something here i get new ideas .if u do make a walk in aquarium get plenty of pics lol. will it be a salt or fresh lol

bmg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Sliced Bread

Welcome to the site!
In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Welcome to the site! Now you have to get started on ideas for the empty tanks! (yeah we really won't help you with your addiction....we just make it worse!)
2 planted tanks: 40g, 20g ; 38g Reef tank
My links to pics: 40g breeder planted build, 40g breeder planted update, My 38g Reef Build

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by JustOneMore20 View Post
Now you have to get started on ideas for the empty tanks! (yeah we really won't help you with your addiction....we just make it worse!)

For sure!

Welcome aboard!

BTW - I thought your post was hilarious!
A fish in the hand is worth two in the tank?
or something like that....
Here's my 110 build .. .
asudavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome, sounds like an quote from my wife, she hates my fish hobby.

Oh dont release those into the wild waters, you might have already caused a problem.

WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com