My first aquarium and I just joined

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sanfranman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone. I searched for aquarium advice and found this app for my phone. I love it. I would love to get your feedback ,advice, and constructive criticism as I would love to gain experience in this highly entertaining hobby. Attached is a photo of my very first aquarium set up a week ago. It is a 10G freshwater. I have 7 guppies, 2 dalmation mollies, and 1 snail. They seem to be flourishing but welcome any tips.

ForumRunner_20120918_152411.jpg

Thank you very much

Welcome to AA glad you found us here :) do you already understand the nitrification process because a week isn't very long to have a tank setup before adding fish?

Thank you.
I did speed up the process with some bacteria ointment, or something like that ,I had gotten from Petsmart. I did have the water tested as well and they said I was ready to go. My fish really seem to be happy

Sanfranman said:
Thank you.
I did speed up the process with some bacteria ointment, or something like that ,I had gotten from Petsmart. I did have the water tested as well and they said I was ready to go. My fish really seem to be happy

Do you have your own test kit? You should really get one like the api master test kit. Most pet stores are going to tell you what you want to hear because it makes them money. Not saying they did this at all but it happens a lot. Even with bacteria in a bottle you need to test to be safe. The fish may seem to be happy bit in the long run as ammonia may build up bad things can happen so fast especially if your not testing

Andrew McFadden said:
Do you have your own test kit? You should really get one like the api master test kit. Most pet stores are going to tell you what you want to hear because it makes them money. Not saying they did this at all but it happens a lot. Even with bacteria in a bottle you need to test to be safe. The fish may seem to be happy bit in the long run as ammonia may build up bad things can happen so fast especially if your not testing

I'm not sure how to reply without including your entire message. but you make great points. I will get the test kit and begin asap. I assume the test kit will determine the bacteria level.

Sanfranman said:
I'm not sure how to reply without including your entire message. but you make great points. I will get the test kit and begin asap. I assume the test kit will determine the bacteria level.

Ya all you really need are the nitrite, ammonia and nitrate test kit. Don't buy the strips they can give false readings plus they won't save you money in the long run. ;) good luck

Back
Top Bottom