Honestly, i dont know what ive gotten myself into
but after practically living on online forums for the past 2 weeks, and reading reading reading saltwater aquarium books, here is what i have ended up with:
1) 29g tennecor acrylic tank
2) 30 inch coralife aqualight lunar deluxe PC
light (2x65). I diconnected the cheapo noisy daylight fan, removed the lower acrylic cover to dissipate the heat, and the light seems to work just fine. doesnt heat up leaving it on for about 7-8 hours a day.
3) Aquac remora with maxijet 1200 pump. I did the paper towel mod to reduce noise, but still getting a lot of micro bubbles.. Hoping they will go away after the break-in period! so far its only been installed for 2 days.
4) Eheim Ecco 2236 canister filter.. btw, why do these external canister filters make that low pitched humming sound ? I dont have a cabinet door on my stand, so when the room is very very quiet at night, it can be a bit irritating. Ive cleaned out the impeller shaft, shook it around and gotten all the air bubbles out, filled up the canister to the top etc etc.. that low hum is still there. Dont get me wrong, its very quiet maybe, ill stick some dynamat around it, and hopefully eliminate the problem.
While i was at it, i also tried a fluval 205 and a rena filstar xp - they all have that hummmm...
gonna stick with the eheim for now since its defiantely looks and feels like a higher quality filter.
5) premixed/precanned salt water
6) 25 lbs of live rock, and about 5 lbs of whatever rock
7) i bag of live sand
Tank has been cycling for about 4 days now and i need to get the water tested etc...
any advice? comments on the cannister hum, skimmer bubbles etc ?