My first post, and tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this is my first tank ever, aside from a goldfish bowl. I have an Aqua Culture 10 gal setup, with a 10-15 filter, and a top and 2 lights. I purchased a water heater, thermometer, and a magnetic cleaner. I places black and mixed blue green rocks (after cleaning/ de chlorinizing them) and a large rock cave (said it was a natural and safe rock).
i have a water banana, and am growing a water lily (the box said it will practically grow no matter what lol) as for fish, the lady said i could have 2 or three, since it hasnt gone through a nitrogen cycle. The fish were assorted platys, and i got an orange one with a black face sopot on his tail, and a black one with a neon blue stripe on its back.
the heater is set to 75, and I am using a stability, new tank stabilizing system liquid by searchem. (it adds the natural bacteria i need in the bio filter)and i usedkordon amquel, ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines remover. I am nearing day three, and my fish look awesome. The banana looks as it did at pet shop, and the lily is still a bulb, but has settled down and i think is starting to show signs of growth. I plan to add a cleaner fish, or two (with the suction mouths under them lol) and i wantto put a few shrimp in this weekend, sicne my tank seems to be handling everything so well. Any tips, or advice, as i hardly know anything about this. My plans are to have more plants on one side, and a side under the filter with less plant action, what kind of pants are good for low light/high coverage -like a grass-) and what fish would go well together -nothing bigger than than an inch though)
btw i love the site, and have been browsing all day at work haha:rainbowafro:

This is my tank so far, possibly some ghost shrimp tomorow, and maybe another platy

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110419_042029.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110419_042029.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 100
hey hippy guy,

Did you cycle you're tank before add'n fish? my advice since you are just start'n out is to take it slow and read everything you can get you're hands on and ask as many questions that come to mind before go'n all in. I know it's tough cuz I'm very impatient and want everything YESTERDAY!!!!!! hahahahaha. But you will be thankful in the long run. Part of the fun of the hobbie is the time you put into it and all the different things you learn. Here is a link on cycle'n you're tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ing/Page1.html

Take it slow brutha and good luck with the tank.

P.S.
The post at 420 was a nice touch.

Ha thanks, and yeah it was done with a fish in cycle, but I did it in 10 gal with 2 plattys. My tank is now complete with a few babys tears plants, and 2 new platys, and 2 georgus guppies, also got 10 ghost shrimp for 2 bucks, and I absolutly love them. Unfotunatly a play and shrimp are both preggers, but my fish should eat whatever happens haha.

My pics so far, I want some moss balls though, oh, and a few pointy snails have smuggled their way in via the plant pots, lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110420_020226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110420_020226.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20110420_020250.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110420_020250.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20110420_020323.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110420_020323.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20110420_020457.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110420_020457.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 76
Great pics, I always lieked to have Cardinal, Neon and Bloodfin Tetras when I had freshwater tanks. I just like the way they would school up and move as one. But I had big tanks where I could have pretty decent sized schools. But I always liked the Green Cobra Guppie as a fish for my fresh water tanks too. It's a cool look'n fish I think.

This is a nice tank and lovely fish in their too! make sure you dont add too many fish and good luck with it in the future! I'm thinking about gettings some shrimps what you reckon are they good? they definatly look awesomee haha! :D

Hey pitbull,

It all depends on if you have a freshwater tank or a saltwater tank. Here are some links to fresh water fish that I think look cool. If you want to check out saltwater ones just use the tabs up top and go to salwater inverts and you will probably get a good idea of what you want then you can ask around in the forums here and I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need. Here's the link Freshwater Inverts and Amphibians: Freshwater Shrimp, Freshwater Snails, Frogs and Lobsters and good luck.

I have 10 ghost in my 10 gal, fish don't really pay them much attentiom, all they do is clean clean cean, I love them, I heard other freshwagter types could clean better though

Back
Top Bottom