My first saltwater tank - Aqueon 36 Gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlaboris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys...
This is my first time setting up a saltwater aquarium...
I've had plenty of fresh water tanks in the past but, honestly, was always afraid to get into marine. Seeing all that equipment is daunting, not to mention all the people scaring me off!
I have some pics to post while I wait for the "cycle"...

I've learned ALOT online and on youtube, but I'm sure I have a lot to learn.

Welcome to the forum! There are some great stickies for starting a sw tank under getting started, they are at the top.

if you need anything specific just ask. Alot of salties on this site. :-D

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! Everyone here is very helpful, so ask as many questions as you want. Remember, the only silly question is the one that isn't asked.

Thanks... First newbie question

Looks like a great site!

So ive read alot about cycling... Saw a video from a guy named new york steelo which was great!

Ive been running my system for almost 1 week... Already getting really high amonia readings (spike?) but also nitrite very high. Nitrate is middle of the road. Could my system be in the middle of the cycle already?
I was expecting to wait at least a month (though im anxious to add some critters odpf course)

Thanks for any advice?

How much live rock do you have? You dont have any livestock yet do you?
From those readings itr would seem you are mid cycle. Are you using liquid test kit or dip sticks?

I have 40lbs live sand, 40lbs live rock and the marineland 220 canister (with bio balls and ceramic disks)...
No live stock yet... (My son can't wait)

Using test kit with drops.

I think you should wait it out at this point. You ahve ammonia that has turned into nitrite so once the nitrite drops to 0 you should have a high amount of nitrates which you would then do a pwc and youre ready to go. The nitrites can take days or even a week or more to drop on their own but it looks like some are already converting since you have trates.

When you do add your first fish go slow, if getting a pair of clowns just get the pair and wait another week or two is even better to add your next one. Gives the biofilter time to adjust to the new bioload.

Looks like your live rock had a good amount of die off which in this case is very good. You didnt dose ammonia or add a dead shrimp did you?

And the liquid test is great, keep using it.

The only thing I might add is to replace the bioballs in your canister with more biomedia rings of your choice. In my canister Ihave biomax rings, carbon and filter floss pads. Thats it. The bioballs can cause a build up of nitrates in the future if you don't clean out the filter every 2 weeks at most I'd say. every two weeks when i did my maintenance I changed out the carbon every other time and replace the filter floss. If the biomedia is really gross you can rinse it in used tank water. :)

Hope that helped!

That was exactly what i was planning...
Just 2 clowns and cleaning crew (any recommendations)
Not sure if an anemone is too delicate for a newbie

Ill take ur advice aboit the bio balls... Maybe w the first cleaning

Also, do i require a heater (miami, fl) And protein skimmer?

Thanks for all the help.
Did u see my tank pics?
Do u have any?

I live near orlando and I havent had the need for a heater yet. Well, not in my cube anyway. I run one in most of my other tanks.

if a tank is around 30g or so i don't see a need for a skimmer if you do your weekly water changes.

Here are a couple shots of my tanks

img_1513012_0_d145b4bb44ef88796327dfff85ba488e.jpg

img_1513012_1_4e9a24c9dd5eb23e87601605e8f3a59b.jpg

img_1513012_2_b98435e49e6bd87911ef8788d6f1869f.jpg

img_1513012_3_467d5b3964b6af2ee8c4eb3cb12f42e6.jpg

Hey guys... A quick update:
Took your advice - removed bioballs, added biomax instead.
Tank completed fish-less cycle in exactly 3 weeks (Funny - all the people I spoke with including at the lfs told me I HAD to have fish in there!! Jus goes to show you what they know).
Readings were 0 Amonia, 0 Nitrite, Some Nitrates - did a 25% water change.
Bought my first critters last night - 2 false percola, 10 hermits, 10 mexican snails...

Attachments

• aquarium_w_first_fish.jpg
    aquarium_w_first_fish.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 287
  • clowns.jpg
    clowns.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 119
Back
Top Bottom