Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Intro

Hello obviously I'm new the the forum. I'm a college student in my senior year and am looking to start a new hobby. I've had a small aquarium when I was younger and am looking to get back into it. I recently purchased a 44 gallon pentagon aquarium and stand from a co-worker and have just finished cleaning it out and moved it into place. I'm waiting on my Fluval 306 canister filter to come in before I cycle the aquarium, so in while I wait I have been looking for what type of fish I want to keep. First I wanted to keep african cichlids from lake Malawi, but i've been told they are more difficult to keep and my tank may not be large enough for them so I'm keeping my options open. I've been playing with AqAdvisor and been looking for fish that would be compatible and provide a lot of color. Currently, I'm considering 2 German Blue Rams, 2 Golden Rams, and possible 4 Dwarf Gouramis (not sure what ones specifically, but I like the Dwarf Flame Gouramis. Also I plan on stocking the tank with roughly 10 tetras (possibly 5 black skirt tetras and 5 red phantom tetras.) So far, AqAdvisor hasn't flagged me saying the fish in the quantities listed are not compatible, but I would love to hear what people have to say.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to being part of the community.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Welcome!!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad you joined!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome! There is tons and tons of info out there, so be sure to read up on everything and take your time absorbing everything. It is very easy to make mistakes in the beginning, especially during the cycling process and fish compatibility. The key is to be patient and ask a lot of questions. Everyone here is very helpful and willing to answer your questions.

Cichlids are tough for a beginner. I do not have any personally, but I have read a lot about them. They probably wouldn't get along with a gourami or tetras, so you might want to reconsider that combo. Also, tetras are schooling fish, so you will need to get at minimum 6 of one type. The more the merrier for those guys, so 10 would be better. I have black skirts, and they are awesome. Good luck! And remember, be patient in the beginning. Read up on cycling the tank before you add any fish.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome!
The rams are very sensitive, a kribensis would work or a keyhole Cichlid instead. Four male dwarf will kill each other and may harrass whatever Cichlid you choose
Old 08-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
Welcome!
The rams are very sensitive, a kribensis would work or a keyhole Cichlid instead. Four male dwarf will kill each other and may harrass whatever Cichlid you choose
Everyone thank you for the warm welcomes. Emerald, what do you mean by sensitive? In terms of water quality and such? Also I was hoping to get pair or possibly two pairs of the dwarfs. I've read the more DGs the less the aggression. With the size of the tank, do you think its possible to distinguish territories with a lot of plants? So far, after I get the filter in and the tank cycled, I'm planning on putting the tetras in first, and then later adding other fish, I'm doing my reading and keeping my options open. I looked at your recommendation of of the kribensis, which looks great also.

Tanks a 44 US gallon pentagon.

Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eAts

Everyone thank you for the warm welcomes. Emerald, what do you mean by sensitive? In terms of water quality and such? Also I was hoping to get pair or possibly two pairs of the dwarfs. I've read the more DGs the less the aggression. With the size of the tank, do you think its possible to distinguish territories with a lot of plants? So far, after I get the filter in and the tank cycled, I'm planning on putting the tetras in first, and then later adding other fish, I'm doing my reading and keeping my options open. I looked at your recommendation of of the kribensis, which looks great also.

Tanks a 44 US gallon pentagon.

Thanks again!
The rams require water that is low pH, and with levels of 0,0, and under ten for ammonia,nitrites, and nitrates respectively
I wouldn't risk the DGs. Plus females are hard to find, dull colored , and you need at least two per male
Old 08-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright, thats what I thought you meant. Thanks again.

Tags
intro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hi | Hi Everyone »