Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
I find feeding a big raw prawn from the grocery store helps a lot with the messy eating behavior. I unthaw, cut off the head, then hold the prawn by the tail and slowly stick it into the water. When my puff eat just enough, I pull my hand away and feeding is over. At the end, there is a lot of shrimp left, but I throw it away. This is a little more challenging with 2 active puffs in a tank. Try to thaw it in vitamin water. More vitamins helps the healing process.

If your weaker GSP looks like its struggling to swim, then definitely try to find a way to put it into a place with less water flow. If it just looks funny when its swimming, then I don't think you need to remove and let the natural healing process go to work. I'm the least knowledgeable person about medicine and unhealthy fish since all my fish has been healthy so far.

Hopefully someone can delve into medicating your fish.

FW & BW unhealthy fish.
Thanks ill try your suggestion. Sorry about putting this thread in the wrong catagory. I tried medicine but it hasnt worked on Spots, i think i will just let Spots heal himself.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ive never heard of prawn? where can i buy it? I buy my gumdrops at petco for spots and greeny. Ive been feeding them each what they eat and they look healtheir, and spots tummy is pure white! Thanks for your suggestion You really know a lot about puffers! Hopefully spots fins get back to their old self.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Prawn is basically a big shrimp. Get wild (not farm raised) and raw (not cooked) prawns with no chemicals or preservatives. They're really inexpensive food. I could buy a pack of big prawns for $10, and it would last me 1-2 months). You could break the prawn in half when its still frozen. Feed half one day, and the other half the next day. Shell on or peeled off is up to you.

Soak it in vitamin water, such as Aquarium Fish Vitamins & Supplements: Vita-Chem Marine & Freshwater.

This really helps them live for 10+ years (assuming all other basic requirements are met). I need to buy some vitamins, but haven't had the time to purchase them yet.

As you know, give them snails too for dessert (or hard shelled seafood like cockle or mussel).

Tags
puffer, pufferfish, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com