Mystery revealed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middlechild

Aquarium Advice Regular
The mystery of who Middlechild is, that is.

A family from NH, with an interest in building a lasting aquarium. We don't do anything just a little, we dive in and strive to exceed expectations. Yes, slightly competitive.

We are working on building a 45g aquarium. In the past we have had several small setups, the almost required beta in a 5g bow front. When the beta passed on, we looked to put in tetras or others, but could not find a heater. So the 5g (or was it 2.5?) is outta here. Moving onto bigger things.

We have a 10g in place now as of sunday 6/15/08 with four fish of unknown types. We did not cycle first, as outlined in this forum, but due to strictly to circumstances and poor decisions on our part and does not reflect on the information within this forum. The 10g will become a learning tool, as we figure out the measurements, test kits, water changes, etc all to be used on the larger 45g which is a work in progress.

The 45g hopes to be up by the end of July 08, depends on many different factors and we are not tied to that date. Love to do the job right, with live plants, and a school of fish. Of course, this three objectives alone suggest end of July is overly optimistic without gobs of money, so we are open to change.

Looking into this forum to tap existing knowledge, to learn about this hobby. Keeping fish alive for long term, and a vibrant soothing aquarium!

Welcome to the site! Are you thinking FW or SW?

Our goal is freshwater at this point. We have not considered saltwater, is it easier? With the 45g tank should be a pretty good setup if we take our time and learn from this site. We welcome any advice however. As an offspring of an engineer, we diligently explore any options before starting out. The 10g mentioned earlier was definitely an accident, not typical at all to start out with something on day 1.

Thanks for the welcome!

I couldn't tell you about FW, as I went straight for SW. I imagine they are kinda similar, the initial cost for starting a SW tank can be a little on the high side, but the monthly maint isn't much at all.

I went for a freshwater setup in my both my tanks after doing some research and pricing. roka64 is right, the initial costs to get a SW tank setup are rather high, compared to a freshwater setup. Depending on the setup of your FW tank, you can spend quite a bit if you want to keep live plants. You will need a lot better lighting than the stock lights that come with most kits.

It really depends on what you want to keep in the tank, fish and plants. Good luck and welcome to the site! :)

welcometoaa.gif

Welcome to AA! FW is a great aspect of the hobby with endless possibilities. You can go planted, or not. I'd recommend checking out the planted tank forum and aquascaping. It is addicting though, don't say I haven't warned you. :)

I envy your tank size :D It sounds like it will be awesome.

I'm also in the process of designing/building a special tank. I look forward to your progress, and may it move more quickly than my project has XD (We're still looking for the right parts to build the light/hood. We want it to look all steampunk, so we're being picky.)

Here is the picture of our tank. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge sharing, we are learning alot of how to keep fish happy and healthy!

picture.php

Same here (belatedly). Figures though, I'm not a middle child, I 'm the baby brat! Glad you have joined AA. Lots of friendly knowledgeable people here so you can expect a lot of help for the asking.

Back
Top Bottom