Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem with always having aquarium salt present in your tank, when it comes time to treat diseases with aquarium salt, the salt is useless because everything in the tank is already tolerant of the salt. so if your fish were to come down with ich, the best treatment method is heat and salt, which half of will be useless. and people have probably said that about marine salt because it is ONLY to be added when creating a brackish tank for brackish fish, like mollies, who are probably not as happy as they could be in your freshwater tank. if you were to add marine salt to a freshwater tank with freshwater fish, i have no doubt it would have ill effects.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytron View Post
The problem with always having aquarium salt present in your tank, when it comes time to treat diseases with aquarium salt, the salt is useless because everything in the tank is already tolerant of the salt. so if your fish were to come down with ich, the best treatment method is heat and salt, which half of will be useless. and people have probably said that about marine salt because it is ONLY to be added when creating a brackish tank for brackish fish, like mollies, who are probably not as happy as they could be in your freshwater tank. if you were to add marine salt to a freshwater tank with freshwater fish, i have no doubt it would have ill effects.
I've always used Kordon Ich Attack when I had an outbreak, (and I've only had 2). Cleared it up w/ no problem.

So... what you're saying is salt is extremely harmful to use w/ fish that aren't brackish, yet it's ok to use w/ all the fish when treating Ich?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

no, i never said it was extremely harmful. re-read my post. i said when it comes to needing to treat with aquarium salt it will be useless because everything in your tank will already be tolerant of salt.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytron View Post
no, i never said it was extremely harmful. re-read my post. i said when it comes to needing to treat with aquarium salt it will be useless because everything in your tank will already be tolerant of salt.
Sorry about the misquote. I just assumed you felt it was harmful to use salt w/ freshwater fish by your other posts. I was just wondering how it can be used to treat Ich and not harm the freshwater fish?

Regardless, I guess I should ask these questions in the area of the forum designed for questions. I wasn't expecting to get advice in my introduction thread, (although it has been helpful).
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Welcome to AA!! id recomend getting a partner for your clown loach tho, iv found that with a partner they wont be as timmid as when they are by them selves, anyways welcome!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xATLxBRAVESx View Post
Welcome to AA!! id recomend getting a partner for your clown loach tho, iv found that with a partner they wont be as timmid as when they are by them selves, anyways welcome!!
Thanks!

Actually, we were planning on getting a buddy for our Clown Loach, (along w/ getting another Dwarf Gourami), eh, up until the Nitrate issue. The levels are improving though! Once the tank is back to "normal", I'll snatch up the hubby and boy and we'll be off to the pet store.

Our Clown Loach is a funny li'l guy, (or gal... I don't know the sex). It hides in the house decoration the majority of the time. But when it comes out, it likes to "play" and nap on its side on the tree trunk decoration. Yeah that scared me when I first saw it do that... I thought the darn thing was dying!! lol Then I found out that was what Loaches do. Fun fish to watch, no doubt!

Tags
alert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com