Nasty sore and white mould on my bristlenose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandymoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

Hi All,

New to this forum, one of my lovely female bristlenose has this nasty sore on her head, her tummy looks like it is coated in cornflour. I got some PROTOZIN and have done one treatment, is it white spot (ICH)?

PH = 7; Ammonia = 0; not sure what nitrate is, (by the way, I have two clown loaches and they ALWAYS tell me when the water is out & they are fine, I did a water change today, vacuumed gravel. Never seen this before, trying to find a photo that looks anything like it, it doesnn't look fluffy really, it looks more like mould on block cheese

Nitrates are the waste product produced by the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate. They are also toxic to fish when levels are too high. They should ideally be below 20 ppm. Over 40 ppm they are toxic and can cause fin rot and things like hole-in-the-head disease. water changes are meant to reduce nitrates. You should be changing 20 - 50% of the water per week, depending on how heavily stocked your tank is. If you aren't doing that, there's a good chance you have toxic levels of nitrates.

Thanks Holly, I know what Nitrate is just dont have testing kit for it, will get. Bristlenose died, I will do all that you have suggested though, continue treatment. Looking at her, I reckon she may have hurt herself and then gone on to get a secondary infection. Thanks again for your help and your interest

mandymoo said:
Thanks Holly, I know what Nitrate is just dont have testing kit for it, will get. Bristlenose died, I will do all that you have suggested though, continue treatment. Looking at her, I reckon she may have hurt herself and then gone on to get a secondary infection. Thanks again for your help and your interest

Amazon has the cheapest API FRESHWATER TEST KITS!!!!! Use these liquid kind, the sticks aren't reliable.

Back
Top Bottom