Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need Advice!!!

Okay so I have a 55 gallon fish tank, just recently started making it into a planted tank.
I don't know too much about this stuff but I'm learning.

Just recently noticed there's a slight algae problem.
Is that because there is too much lighting in the tank?
At first I thought my plants were dying because they got brown/reddish looking but took them out and turns out it was algae covering the plant and they were green and healthy looking underneath it all.

Anybody ever have that happen before?

For substrate I have normal gravel mixed with some Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate.

For CO2 I have the Fluval Mini Pressurized .07oz Kit

And lighting I have four 21" Odyssea 65W Compact Fluorescent Bulb 6700k

I am just getting the plant tank started. Anybody have any input/thoughts about substrate, co2 and lighting? Any information is much appreciated!!!

HootyHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sounds like diatoms, excess nutrients are a common cause of it. Here's a link that should help with how to deal with it.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
How long has the tank been set up? A newly cycled tank almost always gets a diatom problem. My new tank is going through one right now. If its a newly set up tank, then time should fix the problem.
Fish are friends, not food!
Bettababe1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
It has only been set up for maybe two weeks. Any idea how long it'll take to go away or how long a cycle lasts? It's not harmful to the plants is it?
HootyHoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com