Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheasylumCory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got a 5 gallon tank for my black moor and about 3 days later I purchased a small pleco to help clean then bout 2 days later I got two fan tails and put in all of them shook except for the pleco I thought they were just trying to keep from the filter but now one by one they all died even my precious black moor. The pleco is all that's left I'm looking to re stock please some help is needed badly

your fish probably died from ammonia poisoning. i'm sorry to say that that pleco is going to get HUGE. a 125 gallon tank is generally considered bare minimum for them. i would say, return the pleco if possible, and let us help you with a fishless cycle so you can keep something more suitable for your tank, such as a betta. now, if you would like to keep the pleco, you'll need to upgrade fast, but until then, we need some readings on your water.

Ok returning her is possible I guess but I'm really into fish keeping but I live in Natchez ms so the only place I can really get fish from is Walmart I really want a diverse species in my aquarium I'm willing to buy a 50 gallon tank if necessary and i don't have test strips for my water

it would be in the fishes best interest to return her. :) if you want some more diverse species you can order online! but, it might be better to upgrade so you can fit more species comfortably together. also, don't use test strips ;) an API master kit (also can be ordered online) is much more accurate and well worth the money. :)

I will look into this I searched for petshops in my area and found one right across the river I believe I will make a trip there. Now I have a question. I've been reading on here and seen stuff about people putting crabs and snails and shrimp in with there fish could I do this with a black moor ? also what fish go best with the black moor?

I will look into this I searched for petshops in my area and found one right across the river I believe I will make a trip there. Now I have a question. I've been reading on here and seen stuff about people putting crabs and snails and shrimp in with there fish could I do this with a black moor ? also what fish go best with the black moor?

If you are set on a black moor, you need a much bigger tank. Minimum size for single fancy is 20gals, another 10gals for each fancy after. Shrimp will be eaten. Snails (esp smaller ones) will be eaten as well. The only other fish suitable for keeping with a black moor is another black moor or another telescope. Please, please do not put any more goldfish in this 5g tank! Its a death sentence for them as you have already discovered. If you get an appropriate sized tank, please cycle it first and make sure you have an API master test kit before adding another fancy especially a moor. Moors are very sensitive to their water parameters. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Also I had the moor for a year last jan he was in a small small bowl and only died in the big tank fish keeping is difficult :/

Here to help! Ill post some links below for cycling fishless & fish-in. Cycling is the process of growing colonies of beneficial bacteria (bb). BB will consume the ammonia (fish poop) & convert it to nitrite. The nitrite is then converted by a second set of bacteria to nitrate which you remove with pwcs (partial water changes). Ammonia & nitrite are highly toxic to fish.

Black moors are a type of telescope fancy goldfish that are traditionally black in color.. They are called 'telescopes' because of their protruding (telescope) eyes. There are other varieties of telescope fancy goldfish that are usually distinguished by differences in color- colors other than black are just referred to as 'telescopes'. There are some variations to telescopes but generally this is what you will encounter in most lfs.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

as stated, a black moor also needs an upgrade in order to live happily and healthily. now, it's great that you'd like to get into this hobby! it's really fun, and there can be some really cool moments with your fish! but in order to be successful, you need to have the proper enviroment for the fish you want to keep. it sounds like you would like to keep some other fish? why don't you read the links jlk posted above, and do some research on some fish you would like. not too many fish will be compatible with goldfish, but there are plenty of beautiful goldfish out there that would be great additions to any coldwater tank. keep in mind that you don't have a lot to work with at this tank size... if you could upgrade to a 50 gallon or so, you could keep about 4 goldies, or a lot of community fish! there are even some variations of fancy pleco that would do well in a 50 gallon! now, if upgrading is not an option, i would look into cycling your tank and trying out a betta. they do well in small enviroments, and are great fish with awesome personalities! depending on your betta's tempermant, you might could even keep some snails or shrimp with one! :)

Back
Top Bottom