Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyBabyLuscious

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I have a beautiful jaguar ciclyd named Luscious and from what it seems like he has pop eye in both eyes and I’m so devastated. We cleaned his tank real good but I’m still worried about him. I’ve had him for two years now and he is my baby. What do you all suggest?

I'm sorry. Pop eye sucks.

Hi everyone! I have a beautiful jaguar ciclyd named Luscious and from what it seems like he has pop eye in both eyes and I’m so devastated. We cleaned his tank real good but I’m still worried about him. I’ve had him for two years now and he is my baby. What do you all suggest?

Hi, this is also my first post to AA...
I am just a novice keeper of two fancy goldfish, and I don't feel I'm in a position to offer specific advice to you regarding Luscious and his pop eye.
However, I do want to offer my support, and share my pop eye experience with you.

My red cap oranda goldfish "Wilma" developed pop eye while coexisting with another fancy goldfish ("Orangey") in a 10 gallon tank. (The tank was obviously overstocked.)
I have since moved both fish into a new 54 gallon corner tank. While I cycled the new tank, I quarantined and medicated Wilma . I didn't observe any response to the treatment. After 2 weeks I put her into the larger tank with Orangey.
Nearly 2 months later, Wilma and Orangey are happy as ever in their new home. Wilma's eyes are still "popped", but I haven't observed any increased eye issues or additional tail veining. I have stocked up on some medicated food for a possible future treatment. In the meantime, I keep up with water changes, and continue to watch Wilma closely for other signs of illness. (I hope she is recovering, because quarantining her sucks. Orangey gets depressed and sulks in the back corner of the tank. :hide:)
I still don't know if Wilma had/has an infection, or if her pop eye and tail veins were simply stress-induced (by overstocking the 10 gallon tank).

Getting back to your issue...Luscious' pop eye...I think it would help if you shared some more information, such as the size of your tank, any additional tank mates, whether your tank has been cycled, water parameters, and any other relevant history. Other members of AA may be better able to help you if you provide more info.
Good luck, and good health to Luscious.

If both the Jaguar's eyes are affected with Pop Eye, then the problem is likely a bacterial infection. You can try more frequent water changes and adding light doses of aquarium salt, but probably will have to treat with some type of beneficial bacteria friendly antibiotic. Good luck. I like Jags.

IYou can try more frequent water changes and adding light doses of aquarium salt[...}

I forgot to mention that I added epsom salt to Wilma's quarantine tank. I have read different opinions as to whether the preferred treatment for pop eye is epsom salt or aquarium salt. I do believe that epsom salt helps relieve constipation, and can possibly assist with the kidneys' function of eliminating fluids.
I didn't try aquarium salt because I was already routinely dosing the main tank with aquarium salt as per (bad) LFS advice. I figured that an aquarium salt treatment might not be effective, since Wilma was already acclimated to it. (I have since phased aquarium salt out of the new tank, but have it available for treatment if needed.)
I was afraid to do a full-blown epsom salt dip, so I added a moderate amount of epsom to Wilma's tank (about 1/2 teaspoon per gallon). It didn't eliminate her pop eye, but it didn't cause any visible adverse affects, either. Perhaps concentrated dips/baths would have been more effective in treating her pop eye.
I'm just speculating, but it's possible that the moderate dose of epsom salt may have prevented further fluid retention or dropsy. In any case, I'm confident that it didn't harm her.
Pop eye is very disheartening, especially when you have a strong attachment to your fish. I hope we are able to help you out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom