Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KarrieK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, New to the site. I used to have a large aquarium (60 gal) a long time ago, and recently came into possession of a small 5 gal tank that I decided to set up for fun. I did not realize the tank would be too small for most tropical fish. I have filtered water to my home. I just did my first cleaning of the gravel and a partial water change due to high nitrate levels. My 5 tetras had gone to just 4 and were in distress and no longer eating. Of course there was a waste sludge on the bottom. Once cleaned and water changed, at first all seemed better. Fish were eating again, acting normal. Then water got cloudy. I added some clarifier and it mAde it worse. Fish are gulping for air at surface and acting distressed again. I am adjusting the pH (it was too alkaline) and did another partial water exchange. Water is still cloudy.... What now???

Continue to do water changes. Cloudy water is not usually a problem. Elevated ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate can be a problem.
What is the pH of the source water IMO, I would not adjust it.
How long has this tank been setup?

Tank is couple months since start up. Source water pH is 7.5. Ammonia and nitrates nitrates are under control now per test strips. I think I have a bloom

That pH is fine.
Ammonia and nitrite should be zero and nitrates 5-40 ppm (depends on who you ask).
Bacterial blooms are not a bad thing necessarily. They may take days or weeks to subside. Just keep up with the water changes.

Back
Top Bottom