Need advice for a 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adi_Indian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a 30 gallon freshwater tank. I have already planted some live plants in it. Does anyone have any experience with cichlids in a planted tank? If yes, which species are compatible with each other, and with plants.

If having cichlids in a planted tank is truly a bad idea, would someone suggest some interesting non-aggressive fish? I would ideally like to have a school of small fish along with an assortment of larger ones.

Most Africans will destroy a planted tank. You may want to look into SA species like rams.

Also blue or pearl gouramis are good sized fish for a 30 gal and will get along with many schooling fish. Just a thought

Also when planning a community think about where the fish will stay in the tank. You want a balance of top mid and bottom dwellers to round the tank out nicely.

30g freshwater

Thanks Tony. If I may solicit some more advice from you, a couple of questions:

1. What do you recommend for bottom, middle and top inhabitants? I would definitely like some tetras (or rasaboras) for schooling fish, and cory cats as bottom dwellers.

2. Which grass do you recommend for the foreground - something that grows relatively fast and needs minimal care.

1. What do you recommend for bottom, middle and top inhabitants? I would definitely like some tetras (or rasaboras) for schooling fish, and cory cats as bottom dwellers.

2. Which grass do you recommend for the foreground - something that grows relatively fast and needs minimal care.
If you like cichlids, I would recommend a pair of either rams (Bolivian or German) or keyhole cichlids. Both are fun, peaceful, and pretty. I would recommend a dwarf gourami for the top and a school of any random small for the middle: pristella, serpae, bleeding heart, neon, cardinal, lemon, ember, emperor, rummy nose, and cochi blue to name a few.
Also, you could do a small school of corys onthe bottom and either a bristlenose pleco, clown pleco, or trio of otocinclus cats. :) Personally, I like to add in a nerite or apple snail also. All the fish I mentioned are safe with live plants.

Adi_Indian said:

1. For the top I would go with smaller danios or hatchets. For the middle you could have 1 gourami (they tend to be aggressive toward there own kind) or a pair of rams, although the rams will hangout closer to the bottom and a school of small tetras. And for the bottom corys would be great and if you want an algae eater I would go with otos (although they can be fragile for the first few weeks) or a bn pleco. Clown plecos will eat a lot of plants. Remember to over filter especially if you get a pleco.

2. I would go with dwarf hairgrass or micro sword.

Do your research and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Thanks

Many thanks to absoltangel and agwats for all the wonderful advice.

I added a school of head and tail light tetras along with two dwarf gouramis in the tank 2 days back. I am planning on a couple of albino corys to accompany the sole survivor of an apocalypse that the tank had about a month back. Including bolivian rams and nerite snails seems a great idea. Would the snails need any additional feeding of lettuce or algae flakes, especially when the tank is clean?

Many thanks to absoltangel and agwats for all the wonderful advice.

I added a school of head and tail light tetras along with two dwarf gouramis in the tank 2 days back. I am planning on a couple of albino corys to accompany the sole survivor of an apocalypse that the tank had about a month back. Including bolivian rams and nerite snails seems a great idea. Would the snails need any additional feeding of lettuce or algae flakes, especially when the tank is clean?
Personally, I drop in afew extra shrimp pellets or algae wafer so my shrimp get enough food. They do eat scraps too, but its still a good idea to toss them an algae wafer also.:)
I like head and taillight tetras. They look awesome!

Back
Top Bottom