Need advice on 20 freshwater sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boudrow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm Barb and I need some advice. Got a 75 gal tank with cabinet from friend who had saltwater. The tank was precut and all the plumbing was in place. All we had to buy was things to build the sump. So it's a 20 gallon long tank. The first section on the left has the inlet tube that flows right into a sock filter, next two sections are small for the flow over and under, the third section is wide and and the last sectiion is wide for the sump pump which pumps the water back up into the tank. I transferred my old fish from their 40 gallon breeder and even after growing benefecial bacteria using ceramic cylinders in the first section with the sock, I killed all my fish including my 2 seven year old parrotheads. So I cleaned out the whole tank and started over again. Since then I have killed about 10 more fish. The only problem I saw--- was in the first section that houses the sock and ceramic cylinders. It had a heavy thick layer of scum floating on the top the water. I don't know what it was or why it was there. Since the last killing, I cleaned out and emptied the whole system and my new fish are in a 10 gallon tank and they are NOT HAPPY !! I had planned one section to grow plants but not sure exactly how to set that up. Since then, I got about two gallons of bioballs and I'm not sure where to put them. I think they work better when you have some kind of trickle system running over them but not sure how to do that either. Someone else told me that the bottom tank should have a top on it and I don't know if it should be sealed lilke that. I also have sand in the top tank because it was mostly for my parrotheads. Now I got 4 baby parrotheads and goldfish in my 10 gal. tank. I've already spend almost $400 dollars on this tank and I'm going broke. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

the first section of the sump that houses the inlet hose and sock filter has a top overflow into the next section. Should it have an underflow instead?

To be honest I do not have a sump I was going to just keep an eye on the thread to get ideas for my 110gallon that does not have a sump. I believe there is a sticky somewhere about sumps but I may just be mistaken for doing some research before.

hi Hobgob. I'm having trouble manuvering around this site. I'm having trouble just trying to see if I have any replies from anyone. I only see two from you and not sure how i even found them. And when you say thread--I think sewing!! Not too computer literate. You did write back to me twice right and saw what I responded back to you right? Just let me know if you did get my messages. Thanks

Yup I have been able to read everything fine. I'm sure someone who will be able to help out more will come around soon that's for sure

Thanks for writing back so I know at least one person saw me! No other help has come yet. I only knew you wrote to me thru my yahoo mail box. I don't know if I can check if I have mail on this site. Being technologically challenged, I shouldn't be on this site, but I'm so desperate. If you find any site that might help, let me know......

Hi Barb, and welcome to the AA forum! I can't really answer your questions about the sump, although I did have one, but so many years ago, I don't remember the details. However, I thought you might get a better response if you put your questions in the saltwater/reef forums. Here's a link to get you to that forum:Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community .

This forum is basically new member introductions and when you need help and advice there is a variety of different forums you can submit requests for advice, etc. Do you have computer access, or just cellphone internet? If you can access a computer, you can explore all the many options available, and there are so many that it would take months to look at everything. I have found that you can't access many features if you use the app to get to this forum, so when I use my phone, I just google the website (www.aquariumadvice.com) in order to see the whole site.

Hope that helps.

Barb... I was just rereading your original post, and realized that you don't have salt water fish, but I still think that putting your question in the saltwater section will get you a better response, because there are vastly more sumps and trickle filters used by marine aquarists, than by freshwater aquarists. Thus you will have a better chance of having questions answered, if you catch my meaning.

Just didn't want you to think I was totally off my rocker by sending you there.

OK thanks, that helps one problem. Do you know how to set up a DIY drip tray with bioballs and is it in the first section? Right now I have a filter sock in the first section. Should I take it out and not use it?

In my first section the balls are under my drip tray, some of the balls are under the water but I have a tray they sit in about 3 inches off the bottom of the sump there filled up all the way to the drip pan

OK now I figured out how to reply to you on this site but I already mailed a letter to you thru Yahoo. I dislike this site. I keep getting viruses and then my computer screws up and locks up and then I have to get my son to fix it. It's becoming a pain in the butt but I have no where else to go for help so thank you for your patience!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but there are no viruses, maybe you could download the app for your phone or something

20 gal sump question

In the first section of my 20 gal freshwater sump I want to put in a wet/dry bio ball drip tray. Any ideas on how to do that, pictures, supplies anything. Help!

Back
Top Bottom