Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need help, advice, ideas, for setting up a new 60 gallon!

Had aquariums in the past. Nothing this big (60 Gal) Always wanted one, seen a Marineland tank stand/hood/combo on sale at petsmart and here I am. Any help, advice, or links to sites containing information for setting up a tank of this size from scratch for the first time would go aloooong way!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeagain420 View Post
Had aquariums in the past. Nothing this big (60 Gal) Always wanted one, seen a Marineland tank stand/hood/combo on sale at petsmart and here I am. Any help, advice, or links to sites containing information for setting up a tank of this size from scratch for the first time would go aloooong way!!!
Welcome to AA!!! I actually just got the same EXACT tank I think from Petsmart, I got it for like $260 (except I replaced the hood/lights). I'm interested in seeing how your turns out.

Are you looking to do a planted tank?

First things first, pick out a filter. I reccomend Aquaclear filters, if you want a hang on back filter (the Aquaclear 110 for a 60 gallon). And a Fluval 305 canister filter if you want to get an expensive filter.
Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters

Next, you'll need some substrate . Theres basically two types: Sand and gravel. I like the look of sand better than gravel, but thats just me. You'll need about 50-60 lbs of this.

Pick out a heater. I like the Aqueon Pro heaters the best because they arent glass and will not break as easily.
Aqueon Pro Heater | Aquarium Heaters at DrsFosterSmith.com

Now, pick out all your decorations and things you want in your tank. Driftwood, fake plants, little ceramic things. Whatever.

And then theres cycling. You need to cycle your new aquarium to make it safe for fish. Here is an awesome thread to tell you all about it The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

If you would like to plant your tank with real plants, you'll probably want to replace the stock t8 lights for some t5s, but I won't get into that unless you want live plants.

Anyway, WELCOME!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Thanks for joining the forum!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to AA. The design and setup is really based on what you are looking to achieve, i.e. planted or not, fish type (temp, water, decorations) etc, etc. What were you hoping to do with the tank? Are there any particular fish or inverts you were interested in?

Tags
60 gallon, new aquarium, new build, newbie, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com