Neon Tetra's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How many of these little fellas can I get in my tank? (works out 29L). Also, are there any compatible, placid bigger fish I could get in there? Maybe 2?

Also, is sand ok for these and what real plants are best?

What do they eat? What temperature is best?

Attachments

• new2 028.jpg
    new2 028.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 86
Neons put out such a small load that you can keep a herd of them in there. Depends on filtration. You can mix them with live bearers like guppies, mollies, platys or zebra danios, gold danios, rasboras, cory cats, otos, shrimp, etc. For bigger fish it depends on how big your thinking. If it can fit in their mouth, it's food.

Sand is fine as long as you'r enot using an undergravel filter. The easiest plants are the java family (that includes both ferns and moss), anubias, water sprite, wisteria, and swords. These are ones I have the best luck with. The javas and the anubias are low tech, low light less demanding plants.

I keep ours at 80 degrees. They color up best that way. As for what they eat, they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Ours have a varitiy in their diet: brine shrimp (live or frozen, whichever is handy), flake, freeze dried daphnia, freeze dried bloodworms, frozen bloodworms, veggie crisps by tetra brand.

I know like dragonfish said their bioload is very minimal, I think a dozen or so will be fine.

Cardinal tetras are very similar, much more colorful then the neons IMO, They are a little larger and school tighter.

Danios are another smaller fish but they do poo alot. Even some guppies would be neat in there, maybe 3-6.

Its a 7.5g tank by the way, id say a dozen neons with some plants.

for this tank you may easily keep 12 neon tetras...if you planted this aquarium the best plants will be hornwort,echinodorous sp,anacharis sp,anubias sp...because these plants grow very fast...

I would only put about 6 Neons in there, maybe a few dwarf shrimp, Ghosts, RCS, Amanos, etc. and a Nerite or oto with em. Myself, I like to let the tank be more of the picture than the fish. Something that small could make a really easy low tech planted tank. Im biased tho.

Back
Top Bottom