Never too late to introduce myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all, I have been an official member of this site for almost one month now. While I am not a newbie to the hobby, initially I came across this site while looking for information on re-starting my 55 gallon tank after 3 years of it being shut down. I am still learning how to maneuver around this site:brows: So far this site has reminded me of all the important tasks that are required in maintaining a healthy and happy fish home/environment. This go round I want to possibly get a smaller tank and try keeping live plants for awhile to see if I have a green thumb:brows: if so, I will plant live plants in my 55g. My local fish store is currently having the $1 per gallon sale (10-55) so I purchased (2weeks ago) a 40b (36Lx18Wx16H)and slowly building it. I have ran into some issues such as: can't find hood, light, etc... therefore I have bought glass and cut it myself to make as my top and since my cut was not perfect, I put a plastic trimming around the glass edges:whistle:. I am still in an ahhh :confused: mode because I need to get a reasonable stand so I can begin decorating and cycling. Well, this tank I want as a African Cichlid tank, as I already have an Electric yellow lab in my 55 that also houses 6 TB, 1 RTS, and 3 Gouramis. My E.Y.L. will be moved immediately once I can get the 40b off the ground :ermm:...Originally I had gravel in my 55 until I learned on here that pool filter sand could be used (and reasonable(y)). I recently switched the gravel out and put in sand (I love that transition, it is tanish brown). :cool:. I have 14 more gallons to play with stocking (about 18 gallons once eyl is removed); however, I want something that will play a little in the sand but not too much disturbance (not fond of snails much, its the reproduction I don't care for). Is there away you can house a snail without it reproducing? Okay, I also want to mention how I am doing in my fish-in cycle....I began August 28th and things have been going okay....however 9-16-12 my ammonia spiked to 1.0 so I did a 50% water change which lowered it to .5, then yesterday it was back up to 1.0 so I did a 25% water change which it did NOT lower (guess i didn't do enough), and today it is 1.0 again....now I have test my tap water which is 1.0 from the beginning, so what am I to do about this? Now LFS said you never can get ammonia to 0 :confused:...but I have read that ammonia should be 0...currently my ph is 7.4, nitrite 0, and nitrate is 5.0...at a lost here...so any help/suggestions will be gladly appreciated.....

Back
Top Bottom