new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Butterflychild said:
Im not 100% sure but its a parasite as i have had goldfish and gourmis who both have had this and when it gets worse you will see a small hole and a white worm like thing come out some fish will die others will fight it. I used sea salt and raised the temprature that helps with different ailments in fish. ans i used melafix aswell. But mostly letting it run its course.

What you are referring to is an anchor worm. Easily treated with a praziquantel based anti parasitic medication. I fish shouldn't die from it.

thanks so much. you are the only one to reply lately. As someone suggested a while back, I gave the tank a treatment of prazipro just this week. That is for many types of worms etc. It says not to use any other treatment in conjunction with it. Isn't melafix for bacteria? I tried pimafix for fungal. and melafix. Also Lifeguard All- in- One and 'Parasite guard' both from Tetra.I may end up kiilling them from treatments! The fish don't seem to be suffering yet - good appitite and lot of swimming around. So I will decide at the end of this week if I sould try another treatment or retry one or as you suggested just let them try to fight it. The nitrates and nitrates were off the chart when I first saw this but the parameters have been perfect for a month now. Maybe that will help them fight it. so far 2 fish never got 'it' and 2 do. One is pretty bad but he is healthy otherwise?
kind of a long ramble isn't it:fish2::fish2:

Lets see how the prazi works for you- its very effective against a large number of worms & is pretty safe for fish. Im not a fan of melafix products- they really dont do anything in my opinion & really are not very effective against actual bacterial infections (which need antibiotic treatemnt). Healthy water is the best cure-all for fish with minor issues related to water quality. I have tried the lifeguard in the past & found it ineffective as well. Keep up the good work taking care of your water & let us know how the prazi works! If it doesnt, there are some stronger options but they are more difficult to acquire.

Does anyone know if it's safe to use prazipro in a tank with fire bellied toads or with koli loaches?

Loaches should be fine. I dont have an answer on the frogs but i will let you know tommorrow! I need to use it in one of my tanks & it has a few adfs- i will call & find out!

Great thanks so much! I don't know if this is legit but I feel like flat worms ruin my fish eggs some how and they are gross!:thanks:

Does anyone know if it's safe to use prazipro in a tank with fire bellied toads or with koli loaches?

I just spoke with Hikari (makers of prazipo) and they said prazipro is safe for fish, snails, shrimp & frogs. They said to make sure not to mix it with any other meds because the combo can be lethal. They did suggest moving the frogs as a safety precaution but its not necessary. Hope this helps!

Awsome thanks so much and really good to know about the other Meds! I just treated my eggs with fungicide so good thing I didn't just go to town lol!

Prazi can be combined safely with antibiotics (such as metro or kanamycin) for fish. The way Hikari explained it, the combos of meds with prazi is lethal for frogs. They warned in particular about using various ich meds with prazi- evidently, thats a bad news for everyone in the tank! Good info for everyone to know! :)

Back
Top Bottom