Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new

Hi from pepperdog. I have a 70 gal. tank with 4 large beautiful goldfish. I have had them 4 years , putting them out in my pond in the summer. All of a sudden One fish started getting white lumps under the skin and soon it started spreading to other fish. I have been everywhere, asking everyone, showing pics. I have gotten so much conflicting advise I am going crazy. Trying every cure on the market hoping I will come across something. My water tested way high for nitrates and nitrites so now I am treating that with bacteria and water changes- 50% each time. So that is where I stand and who I am. My knowledgable fish guy at Petco suggested this site as the best fish site around.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome! I'm glad to know we've got a good reputation I hope you find some answers, but unfortunately I'm not knowledge about goldfish at all, I hope someone chimes in soon.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long ago did it start, and how long and how often have you been doing water changes?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperdog
Hi from pepperdog. I have a 70 gal. tank with 4 large beautiful goldfish. I have had them 4 years , putting them out in my pond in the summer. All of a sudden One fish started getting white lumps under the skin and soon it started spreading to other fish. I have been everywhere, asking everyone, showing pics. I have gotten so much conflicting advise I am going crazy. Trying every cure on the market hoping I will come across something. My water tested way high for nitrates and nitrites so now I am treating that with bacteria and water changes- 50% each time. So that is where I stand and who I am. My knowledgable fish guy at Petco suggested this site as the best fish site around.
Welcome! Sorry about your goldfish. Could it be ick?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi and welcome!!! We need some more info to better be able to help you. What are your exact water parameters for amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph and what are you using to test (liquid or strips)? How often and how big are your water changes? What meds have you tried using to date? We are here to help!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Hi, could you post some pictures? Are the lumps all over or in certain places?
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am new to this site and have not lookied how to post pictures. Do I do it in a general way or to you specifically? mAYBE YOU COULD TELL ME HOW
Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, pictures would definitely help. You take a pic of the fish, upload it on your computer, then when posting a new post on this thread, click on the " Go Advanced " button, next to the " Post Quick Reply " button. There you will see manage attachments. Be sure to upload pics that are not bigger than the maximum filesize.
Now let's get back to your fish. Why do you have readings of nitrities? Could you have done anything that could've disturbed the bacteria? And I would not suggest buying meds and using them on your fish, you still don't know what's happening.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisserydoo View Post
How long ago did it start, and how long and how often have you been doing water changes?
It started a month or so ago. First one fish an then to others but not all. Now I am doing 50% water change for 5 days as someone told me to do to get the nitrates and nitrites o.k. I have one more day to do thid and they are a lot better Other than that I had been doing 10 gallon change every week or so for 70 gallon tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com