New :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jguid said:
Yes... Well I have 1 feeder goldfish the other I'm not sure but here is hiz pic

If its a feeder don't worry about his tank size though you'd still prolly need a bigger tank for the terrapin and the plecos. If it is a pet then go with bigger tank.

By the way goldfish arent very nutritious food. They are good for exercise tho lol.

jkdubs2 said:
If its a feeder don't worry about his tank size though you'd still prolly need a bigger tank for the terrapin and the plecos. If it is a pet then go with bigger tank.

I was thinking abt moving the plecos to the 20gal tank
And the turtle will get bigger tanks we just bought the 20gal and I was thinking next get a 55gal when I get my own place

Andrew McFadden said:
Are you using it as turtle food or a pet?

The goldfish are pets they were first used to cycle the tank

Andrew McFadden said:
What I would do is just take them back to the fish store and get something else

They are nowhere near large fish

Attachments

• image-2691598908.jpg
    image-2691598908.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 83
Honestly get a 55g tank and stand online Craigslist for like 50-100 bucks for the terrapin and goldfish and you'll be ok. Except for the plecos. But theyd be ok in the 55 for a bit but not forever. We aren't trying to scare you off or anything so don't take it that way please if we are sounding like know it alls. But you must realize also that these are pets too just like a dog or cat and they need room to run and play as well. There are plenty of people on here who can help you with any kinds of problems you have. And p.s. I got bombarded like this too when I first joined but I'm glad I did bc I didn't realize the poor conditions my fish were in. We're always here to help.

Would my turtle be ok in the 20 for now she gets alot of exercise my gf takes her on walks everyday

Also would the fish be better in the 20 gal (there are lots of hiding spots from the turtle)

Jguid said:
Would my turtle be ok in the 20 for now she gets alot of exercise my gf takes her on walks everyday

Also would the fish be better in the 20 gal (there are lots of hiding spots from the turtle)

Can you take a pic of ur turtle topper and your turtle tank? The turtle might be ok if ur able to fill the tank all the way up until u can get a bigger tank. Also if u have a small pond he can swim safely in for a bit once or twice a week that would be good but not necessary. I know ur in Louisiana so the waters may be dangerous for u and your terrapin so that may not be an option. And the walk outside is good idea too. But sometime soon you will prolly need a bigger tank. No way around it sorry.

jkdubs2 said:
Can you take a pic of ur turtle topper and your turtle tank? The turtle might be ok if ur able to fill the tank all the way up until u can get a bigger tank. Also if u have a small pond he can swim safely in for a bit once or twice a week that would be good but not necessary. I know ur in Louisiana so the waters may be dangerous for u and your terrapin so that may not be an option. And the walk outside is good idea too. But sometime soon you will prolly need a bigger tank. No way around it sorry.

Yes here is a pic of it and the tank

Attachments

• image-2675199961.jpg
    image-2675199961.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to AA. Neat set up for the turtle! I've never really thought about keeping turtles, but my son keeps trying to convince me. :)

I hope you aren't feeling discouraged by the suggestions about tank size. Unfortunately, pet stores aren't always forthcoming about how big your fish will grow and some species (plecos are definitely one of them) can grow shockingly big, shockingly quickly. They can also be aggressive towards smaller fish, so you end up needing to be careful what you keep them with once they mature.

Poke around the forums, searching for things that interest you. (You can use the search function with keywords like 'turtle' and find other relevant threads.) There's so much info here that it can be overwhelming at times - I know I am still reeling from it all and can get lost here for hours. Plus, people are really helpful and will answer the questions you post, often very quickly.

Good luck!

ErinMcG said:
Welcome to AA. Neat set up for the turtle! I've never really thought about keeping turtles, but my son keeps trying to convince me. :)

I hope you aren't feeling discouraged by the suggestions about tank size. Unfortunately, pet stores aren't always forthcoming about how big your fish will grow and some species (plecos are definitely one of them) can grow shockingly big, shockingly quickly. They can also be aggressive towards smaller fish, so you end up needing to be careful what you keep them with once they mature.

Poke around the forums, searching for things that interest you. (You can use the search function with keywords like 'turtle' and find other relevant threads.) There's so much info here that it can be overwhelming at times - I know I am still reeling from it all and can get lost here for hours. Plus, people are really helpful and will answer the questions you post, often very quickly.

Good luck!

Nice turtle tank. I think as long as long as it stays clean then you'll be fine for a bit longer tho the turtle will most definitely be happier in a bigger tank but just keep it clean and the turtle will be healthy. Also think about adding more river rock and fake plants the turtle will have fun with them. Also I see the heat lamp but where is the UVB light the turtle needs?

jkdubs2 said:
Nice turtle tank. I think as long as long as it stays clean then you'll be fine for a bit longer tho the turtle will most definitely be happier in a bigger tank but just keep it clean and the turtle will be healthy. Also think about adding more river rock and fake plants the turtle will have fun with them. Also I see the heat lamp but where is the UVB light the turtle needs?

I have them both that was a quick fix I can send pics tomorrow after I set up the 2 lamps the turtle is at my gf right now so I am still in the process of getting everything setup and still looking for someone to buy our old tank from us

Ok I was just curious. Sounds like ur keeping the turtle healthy. How old is it?

jkdubs2 said:
Ok I was just curious. Sounds like ur keeping the turtle healthy. How old is it?

We are not too sure we found her at our local park. And the pond at the park isn't the "healthiest" place for turtles so we decided to keep her

Back
Top Bottom