Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and pretty much new to the aquarium keeping hobby. I have one 10 gallon tank, and one 5 gallon tank.

I have had the 10 gallon tank for just over a year. The 10 gallon contains 1 female platy, and 4 baby platys. Sadly, the father of the 4 babies passed away a few months ago. Soon, I would like to to start experimenting with live plants in this tank. I already have 4 Marimo moss balls in it.

My 5 gallon tank has been cycling for 4 weeks, and contains 4 feeder fish. I plan to get a crayfish for the 5 gallon when I am sure the tank is stable and has safe water for the crayfish to live in.

I am so excited to join this forum, because I love learning more about the vastly interesting hobby of aquarium keeping!

Emmy_helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion
Send a message via Skype™ to Carriwin
Welcome to AA!

-55 gallon FW, sand -55 gallon FW, planted fluorite -38 gallon black sand -10 gallon white sand nursery
-Carriwin's Tank Adventures
Carriwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Hi, welcome to the forum

Do you have a water test kit? Tanks can get over-loaded as the bacteria try to catch-up for fish-in cycling, (sometimes you get bacteria you don't want), and a test kit to check the progress of water changes can be useful. Apologies if this is all old information but just in case useful.

Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thank you!

I have an ammonia test and a ph test, but no nitrate/nitrite test. I plan to get one as soon as I can.

My 5 gallon tank's ammonia is at about .5-1 ppm. I think the ph was about 7.2.

I would be doing a fish less cycle for that 5 gallon tank, but the story of the tank is kind of a fiasco...first, my father found a crayfish on the road, so he put it in water and brought it to me because he thought I might want it for my 10 gallon. I didn't want it in the 10, because I have baby platys in there and the crayfish could possibly catch them. Then, after reading online, I found I shouldn't release the crayfish back into the wild, because 1) the place I release him might not be exactly where my father found him and he could be a danger to the new ecosystem, and 2) he may have caught a disease in the water my dad put him in and the disease would be introduced into the new ecosystem.
I felt so bad for the crayfish (and I felt like I had to keep him for the reasons listed above) so I bought the 5 gallon set up with a submersible filter and some feeder fish for him to eat. I knew the tank should have been cycled, and the lady at the store gave me way to many fish for the 5 gallon (probably 8 fish), so from the beginning I was set up for failure. It went pretty good for the first 3 weeks, and the crayfish caught 4 of the fish by hunting them. Sadly though, one day the crayfish died after about 3 weeks. I felt terrible, and I immediately tested the water and the ammonia was at 1-2 ppm. I have since told my dad, if he finds anymore crayfish, please just let them be.

So, that's the really long story of my 5 gallon, and I would love to get another crayfish on my own terms (not from my dad picking one up) when the water is a better quality.

And please don't apologize for giving me info, I take all the advice I can get! I will do everything I can for my fish to be happy and healthy!
Emmy_helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com