Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question new 55 gal. tank

I'm setting up a 55 gal. tank and can't make up my mind-fresh or salt. I've never done salt or marine and thinking about trying it. It's just the start up costs are so high compared to fresh water, more equipment to buy, different testing to do plus the same old ones. So if I could get some insight into choosing which way to go I would be so thankful.

Rod

Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

all personal preference my friend. And dont fool yourself, freshwater can get pricey sometimes too. I prefer salt

Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like salt more as well. More fish that are colorful and have great personalities. Welcome to AA!
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA, go with salt, Ive been a freshy since I was young and there is no comparison with salt, trust me! Like thominil said, there are more fish and all are so much more colorful and with great personalities!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #5

Hey, thanks guys. But I still don't know which way to go yet. I am on a set budget and that makes things more difficult. But again, thanks.
Rod
Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

I think salt would definitely be more colorful and interesting. I would look into salt and see what things about it you like. That will determine the cost to a large extent. The type of salt tank you want will determine what kind of filters, lights and other equipment you will need. Which in turn will determine the cost. From what I have seen on here lighting is a big factor. And lighting is determined by what you want to keep in the saltwater tank. All comes down to lots and lots of research and personal preference. Freshwater can be the same way. If you want to go planted or not or different kinds of fish require different water conditions. Again personal preference. Dont let someone else tell you what you like. Maybe look around the Gallery and see if something catches your eye and research that particular type of tank or ask that user about their tank. Follow some of the build threads on this site. Alot of them quote costs as they go. Sorry to ramble but in the end it really is just up to what you like.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #7

new 55g

Yeah, thanks. Just wondering if I went with LR and maybe LS, how much would I need. I have a Jebo canister, which I probably wouldn't need after things are set up. One question, if I went with a sump what happens when the electric goes off, does it overflow or what? Well I said one ? but what else would I need?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA!

I agree with Spoonman entirely! I prefer saltwater as well but don't have the budget right now as a graduate student for the type of setup that I would like. I would need some super duper lighting and other gadgets that are out of my brudget. All in good time though.

I currently have three freshwater tanks, that eat all of my monies. I am defending in October and hopefully my next career move will allow me to really invest in a nice saltware project again.

If you are interested in colour and personality in freshwater, you might consider keeping discus, even though they can be pricey, or angelfish or other cichlids. There are also some really beautiful freshwater fish to consider.
Sooooo many fish, soooooo few tanks O.o!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

I'm going to very respectfully disagree with some of the others... either can be very interesting, colorful, and beautiful. I love watching our FW tanks as much as I do our reef. They are different, but on a tight budget I'd opt for FW. You can do a larger, planted display with rarer fish as compared to the same for SW. It is about personal preference and personal choice though. I wish you luck with whatever you choose!

A properly setup and plumbed sump will not over flow with a power outage.

Tags
55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com