Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question New 55gal FW tank, Need Advice!!

I just started a 55gal FW tank, a new upgrade from my 10gal. I know all the basics but I'm lost when it comes to what type of filtration to buy and lighting. I currently have NO lighting and I want something thats bright and clear, not yellow. Also I was looking into buying a Fluval 305 canister filter, any good? I really need some good advice on these things, I want good quality but I'm also on a budget.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmyfish
I just started a 55gal FW tank, a new upgrade from my 10gal. I know all the basics but I'm lost when it comes to what type of filtration to buy and lighting. I currently have NO lighting and I want something thats bright and clear, not yellow. Also I was looking into buying a Fluval 305 canister filter, any good? I really need some good advice on these things, I want good quality but I'm also on a budget.
I'd recommend 405 instead, 305 offers not enough filtration for a 55. Well satifactory. You can buy a 48" florescant or t5 lighting, depending on your type of tank, planted or not. MH is also available, but you're on a budget

Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi and welcome to AA!

Are you planning on having live plants in your tank? If not, then a standard fixture w/ T8 bulbs should suffice, (although it may look a little "yellow"). Otherwise, a 48" T5 fixture w/ 1 Actinic bulb will make the colors really 'pop'! This is the fixture that I have over my 55g planted community tank and it works great! Although, I needed the full 56w for my plants so I changed out the Actinic w/ a 6700k bulb. But when I did have the Actinic bulb in there, it looked incredible!
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

If you want really white colors then go with 10000k bulbs, actinics are going to give it a blue color. Anywhere between 6500k-10000k is pretty good for white colors but the white gets more crisp as you get higher up in numbers, but past 10k it starts getting more and more blue.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

When it comes to choosing filters you also need to consider what your bio-load will be. What type of fish are you planning on keeping and how many? Will your tank have real or artificial plants?
And this part is a personal preference, but I like having 2 filters on my tanks as do some other people. It helps keep my water crystal clear. I rarely need to rinse my filters, maybe three times a year. Not needing to mess with my filters and doing weekly PWC keeps the NitrAte levels stable.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, freshwater, new tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com