Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, ALWAYS test your own water. I check mine daily just to ensure that everything stable. The LFS should just be verifying your test from home. More then likely your fish died of ammonia poisoning. There was too much waste in the tank due to the high bioload that became ammonia, were you doing water changes? What kind of filtration and lighting do you have?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

BTW, Mr. X here is the man, he has helped me a ton and is always on here, so I would definitely recommend talking to him when you need help.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
Before you add anything else you need to ensure your water is stable. As Mr. X said, what are you parameters and how are you testing for them? The test strips are highly inaccurate. On a side note, in such a small tank you should never keep more than two clowns and you can't put more than one species of clown in the same tank. What kind of clowns did you have?
Great advice on the clowns. Thanks.
2 perculas regular color, and then 2 which were darker brown.

I will get teh water checked tomorrow for more accuracy.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The darker clowns may have been fudge clownfish, or maybe a cinnamon clown. Yeah, you shouldn't mix clown species, they will fight a lot of the time.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Ok, ALWAYS test your own water. I check mine daily just to ensure that everything stable. The LFS should just be verifying your test from home. More then likely your fish died of ammonia poisoning. There was too much waste in the tank due to the high bioload that became ammonia, were you doing water changes? What kind of filtration and lighting do you have?
Have not done any water changes. Have been adding about 3/4 gallon of distilled water each day for evaporation.

I think you are right about the waste in the tank- the hermit crabs and the worms in the live rock seem to be giving off waste all day long.

I will confirm the type of filter and the lights- I think it's a wet dry- with the large black section in the tank, which drops down into the acrylic container below with bio balls, filter material ( not sure if this is set-up right), protein skimmer, and then this bring the filtered water back to the tank. The lights come on at 2:30pm anf turn off at 10:30pm- two are white and 2 are blue- will confirm the exact type.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #16

Quote:
You shouldn't really float and add water, the best method of acclimating is a drip acclimation. You put the fish is a clean container with the water from the store. Get some small air tubing and start a siphon, secure one end in your tank and tie the other end in a slipknot. Tighten it until the water just begins to drip rather than flow, put it into the container. Continue the drip until your have doubled or tripled the water in the container. Then you are good to introduce the livestock.
Great advice.

I am going to move to this intro. method. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem, yeah you need to do water changes bi-weekly. About 20%, mix your water up the day before so that the salt can fully dissolve before you put it in the tank. This is to help keep down nitrates and waste. It could have compounded the bioload issue, with a high bioload water changes need to be more frequent. Without doing them at all you allow waste to build up and really throw off your water quality.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #18

The store I buy the fish from has salt water. Should I but it there?
In Miami- I am thinking this is ocean water?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Lou
Old 03-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #19

Quote:
No problem, yeah you need to do water changes bi-weekly. About 20%, mix your water up the day before so that the salt can fully dissolve before you put it in the tank. This is to help keep down nitrates and waste. It could have compounded the bioload issue, with a high bioload water changes need to be more frequent. Without doing them at all you allow waste to build up and really throw off your water quality.
The return water tube to the tank seems to have some waste build up in it. Is this normal, or is this because their is too much waste in the water/system?

Thank you.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is probably salt creep, if it is white and crusty that is what it is. No, they are probably using RO/DI water and mixed their water with salt same as you do. Seawater can have harmful bacteria and other thing you don't want in your home aquarium and they don't want in their display tanks. Never trust the water from the LFS. The only time you can make an exception is when transporting a sea star, or something that can't be exposed to air. some of the LFS water will have to enter the system then.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com