New 65g Salt Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, whoa I misread that one. I thought he was saying there was something ON the return tubing. Yeah it would be kind of hard to have salt creep inside the return tube. haha

So what are you thinking of stocking the tank with once your water is stable?

there won't be salt creep on the inside of the tube. it's probably algae if the tube is clear.

Its kind of a tan color on the tube- looks more like waste than anything else. Maybe Algae as you say.

Thanks.

It's pretty normal, you should post some pics of your setup. Is your tank drilled with an overflow, or do you have a HOB system for your wet dry filter?

So what are you thinking of stocking the tank with once your water is stable?

Want to add a black banded Goby ( had 3 before- all died - not sure what they are called- but they have several black/white thick vertical line, with a little yellow, Long Dorsal fin) to pair-up with the pistol Shrimp. Was told the atlantic pistol shrimp will not pair-up with any pacific gobies.

We had a couple of small tanks a few years ago- started with passive fish, and then moved into small grouper/basses, eels, Frog.

Much prefer the passive ones.

If we are able to get the symbiotic relationship going with the goby/pistol, what else do you recommend?

Thanks,

I have had issues with pistol shrimp, they destroyed my sand bed. Others have had no issues with them, it all depends on what you like. In your tank you have some options, clowns, blenny, hawkfish, some wrasse are ok in a 65 (Some will jump), goby, dwarf angels. You should really not keep more than one goby, many of them can be aggressive to similar fish. That rule works out for a lot of fish though...lol

How much live rock do you have? That is going to decide a lot too, live rock is basically a natural filter for your tank, more is always good. Plus many fish need it to hide or they will stress. Hawkfish for example like to have a lot of hiding places i.e. a lot of rock.

It's pretty normal, you should post some pics of your setup. Is your tank drilled with an overflow, or do you have a HOB system for your wet dry filter?

The tank is drilled, Goes straight down to the filter system in the bottom.. need to become familer with the filter system to get the most of out it.
Will send pictures soon.

Thank you,

Lou

You can look at my profile, I have a 65 gallon as well :)

Just went to your profile.
My set-up is almost identical- bought everything new in January ( small fortune). I think I have the same tank and the same filter. Only difference is that my Protein Skimmer is right in the acrylic container with some fitlering material.

I will get a picture on here soon.

Thanks,
Lou

You bought new, I bet you did spend a fortune. I bought used from Craigslist, I paid 300 for everything except the fish. I moved the livestock from my old 35 gallon into the new tank.

How much live rock do you have? That is going to decide a lot too, live rock is basically a natural filter for your tank, more is always good. Plus many fish need it to hide or they will stress. Hawkfish for example like to have a lot of hiding places i.e. a lot of rock.

I have a bunch probably about 60 pounds 7-8 pieces. Loaded with purple coraline.

That is a decent amount, my rock from the 35 gallon has a TON of coraline algae, but the rock that came with the tank didn't have a lot of purple on them, she had abused the tank. You can see all the bleached (Dead) coraline on the overflow, I will have it back in no time at all though.

i don't know the exact composition of the stuff in the tube, but it's a growth of sorts. i see it on all clear tubes eventually. i wouldn't be concerned about it. if you really hate it, replace the clear tube with something that doesn't let light in. this will serve 2 purposes, to not let any algae grow in the tube, and to not allow you to see the gunk in the tube. out of sight, out of mind!

Not really worried about the tan stuff in the tube then. It's hidden underneath. I am going to buy the test kit today, and try to get a 20%water change this evening.

I'll post the results and go from there. Can't believe I am having so much trouble getting started with the fish.

Hello Mr. X,

I bought the Test Kit you recommended, and got the back-up reading from the LFS.

here's the parameters:

pH= 8.2
Amonia= 0ppm
Nitrite= 0ppm
Nitrate= 15 to 20 ppm
Salinity = 31ppt/1.023

Have not done a water change. The Ich on the Diamond Goby seems to have gone away.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,

Lou

how long ago did the last fish die?
how are you mixing water and doing water changes?
check for stray voltage also.

last fish, the Queen Anthias died about 10 days ago. The Diamond goby still alive and seems to be doing Ok, except for the occasional visits to the surface for gulps of air?

Have not done a single water change. Add about a gallon of distilled water every 2-3 days, right into the section connected to the skimmer.

Stray voltage in the tank? Like from the heater? i am going to attempt adding a picture in a message.

Thanks,
Lou

yes, stray voltage from anything electrical that is in contact with the water.
no water changes ever? this tank has been up since january? i can't help but think this has something to do with your problem. how do you export nutrients?

Back
Top Bottom