New AA User

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron_Mullinax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My name is Aaron and I have had a fish tank in my home since I was around 5 years old. I am now 35 but I still just have one small tank. My son and I really just enjoy the messing with the fish... Along with our snake, cat, and two dogs:)

Anyway... My primary reason for getting on this site is to learn more about managing a larger fish tank.. We have just took a big step up and purchased a 200 Gal tank with a 35 Gal Sump... It was in an office complex and we got a great deal. I have picked up everything at this point but the tank and I am getting that on Friday.. So I am looking everywhere for ideas on filter media, etc so that I can get ready.. We are also going to convert our old tank once we have this one setup to a saltwater tank or Reef Tank.. I was really thinking about using the 200 Gal tank as a saltwater tank but from speaking with local fish shop they suggested I start small and learn a bit more before I dive into that one:)

Anyway.. Looking for any ideas and will be searching the site as well to get as much info as possible before I start putting water in the tank:)

Actually IMO starting a SW the bigger the better it gives you more room for error. But the price can be staggering for aragonite, salt mix, and LR alone. Not to mention a good protein skimmer that size. But FW has its cost marks as well. In the end its all about what you want, Welcome to AA.

Thanks.. So this new tank has a back left corner 4x4 overflow but it only has one drilled 1" drain hole. Also the overflow is where the previous guys had the filter media.. The 1" drain hole has a 1" pipe that goes straight into the second tank. Then the second tank (Sump) on the other side has the 900GPH pump that goes back up and poors back into the 200 Gal tank.. I am thinking about changing that so that the sump tank turns into a Wet/Dry tank.. Then leaving the overflow area alone.. Thoughts?

If you put some LR rubble and some macroalgae in the sump, if it has an area that can be turned into a refugium, you should be good. Of course that is for SW, dont know much about Fresh

Welcome to AA! If you can afford it, I would make the 200g SW. Definitely less room for error and you'll be able to have more fish than you would in a small tank.

Thanks Everyone.. So I am going SW!!! now I just need to get started.. Few more questions..

Can I mix play sand with aragonite to save a little money? For a 200Gal tank plus a 35 Gal Wet/Dry tank...

Also I am still wondering about the current design of my overflow and if I for some reason I need to modify.. Basically the curent design is only one hole cut through the tank at the bottom of the overflow (1" hole). I see several pics of people that have a few holes where mulit pipes are coming down to the sump or wet/dry filter.. Just really tyring to get my head around how I need to set this up. I want to do it right the first time.

The pump I have for the sump is 900 GPH.. I also have a powerhead 802 that was just used for water movement.. Will that be ok for starters?

Once tank initial setup is done.. how many fish / Live Rock should I add to get the cycle going? Again 200 Gal tank and a 35 Gal Sump (235 Gal total)? Or maybe should I only do fish first.. I want to have this as a reef tank as the coral is so amazing..

Thanks for all the help! So looking forward to getting the tank setup this weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom