New!! And Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good good, you can add about 8 tiger barbs if Ty are going to be the only fish in there, you can also add 4 kuhli loaches and one apple snail if you wish, I would add 3 normal tiger barbs, 3 albino tiger barbs, and 3 green tiger barbs to keep variation

12 barbs in a 20 gallon? Sounds ok I would go with tiger, green, panda or snakeskin, and pans Garra loach, I like the snail.

Man so I went to the pet store to look at some fish and tanks and one of the employees I talked told him about what i wanted and than suggested I start with a 30 gallon cichlids tank???? Why?

I wouldn't think so. Most Africans get 6in I belive an there's not enough room in a 30. Though there re some that could work

Take your time and go slowly. Ammonia and nitrite are your first enemies followed by diatoms. 1-2 small fish is what I recommend and not to add any others until your tank has fully cycled. This will take between 6-8 weeks. I know you are anxious, but trust us....we have all been there. TAKE YOUR TIME. Establish weekly water changes as a normal routine at 30-50% per week until fully cycled. Don't overfeed, keep ypur water temps consistent, and establish good discipline and tank maintenance now. People that ignore this guidance, usually have tanks for sale on craiglist (LOL).

Man so I went to the pet store to look at some fish and tanks and one of the employees I talked told him about what i wanted and than suggested I start with a 30 gallon cichlids tank???? Why?

Because he wanted to make a big sale!!!!

cichlids in a 30 :facepalm: you would need a new bigger tank 2 months down the line

never trust most pet shop employees they just look for the big sales not looking at your best interest

sounds like everyone here is pointing you in the right direction (y)

and welcome to aa

Ya I'm gonna use the rest of the time before I get everything to focus on the cycle I don't mind taking my time I know i will benefit from it. Fish are just exciting lol. Ok so I put together a list, i made the list in how I would stock 3 different fish tanks, the tanks don't have a specific size as long as I can accommodate the fish.

Fish tank 1: threadfin rainbow, pearl gourami, silver zebra angel, black Molly, panda Garra, and a freshwater clam.

Fish tank 2: tiger barb, panda barb, snakeskin barb, and odesa barb, only choosing 2 species barbs. Gold ram, flag cichlids, red honey gourami , otocinclus catfish, viper shrimp, and assassin snail.

Fish tank 3: researching if other tanks aren't compatible have two different species rasbora and Cory cats.

How many I would keep would maybe trios for non schooling fish and 6 to 8 for schooling fish.
Thoughts?

Thank you 54seaweed, I figured he was he was pulling me away from what I really wanted. I don't blame him I use to be a sales man myself, I know what that's like. I'm gonna stick to my own research and make my own mistakes though.

Well those stocking sounds good , have you looked at silver hatchet fish? Great fish! Also angel and groumai won't get along as they are territorial, inhabit the same area if tank and can be unpredictable on behavior

I considered hatchet fish they look pleasant and seem like great fish, that's the advice I was looking for. What about the angel with the ram and cichlids?

I considered hatchet fish they look pleasant and seem like great fish, that's the advice I was looking for. What about the angel with the ram and cichlids?

Hatchets are one of my top 3 along with class cats and angels. Angels are a type of SA cichlid and won't get along with Africans for tons of reasons. Rams should be fine, though I would only do a pair at most.

Ok so besides the angels in with the gouramis in fish tank 1, I would do hatchet fish instead I like them. So the other fish tank is perfect well close?

A lot of barbs tend to be fin nippers. Cherry barbs, rosey barbs and angels do well together. Barbs can be sensitive to diet, so maintain a balance between proteins and veggies or the barbs get intestinal blockages. Addidionally, Angels like warmer water. I keep mine around 82 and my Discus around 86 degrees. Blackfin tetras and neon tetras make a stunning display in a tank with lots of live plants and a dark substrate.
D

Back
Top Bottom