New and full of questions (among other things! LOL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone!!!

Excited to be here. Have been a FW enthusiast for many years now. Over the weekend lovely wife "suggested" we take our 29g tank and give a SW setup a chance - heck ya!!

So here we are, over the weekend cleaned the once FW tank (no chemicals of course!), filled with de-chlorinated water.... got temp steady at 78 degrees F, and after about 24 hours salinity pretty well dialed in at 1.025 Added 40lbs of live marine sand, and have left lighting (actinic bulb right now) turned off, in fact have a black blanket over the tank to help prevent any light causing unwanted algae bloom right away.

Have 25lbs or dry base rock on the way, as well as 15lbs of cured live rock.

Until the rock arrives, anything else I should be working on, testing, etc?

FYI, I read somewhere about leaving my filter media from FW setup in place to help with cycling - thoughts on that????

Hi and welcome to AA(y)
As for your questions i shall do me best:cool: most people remove the biological media as the live rock will be doing that,although you can use the filter to remove suspended solids. Also some add a phosphate remover to help combat algae problems. Also did you use R/O water? Also i would recommend getting a protein skimmer. Also what are you plans stocking wise? :)

Thanks! Stingrays4, thanks for tip on filter media. Yeah, being a smaller tank I was able to setup with r/o. Looking at P-skimmers now, will have one soon enough. First several weeks (if not months) will be focused on cycling and establishing rock "base". Perhaps in 4-8 weeks introducing some "cleaning crew critters" one or two at a time, and maybe by spring moving up to yellow goby or similar - and see where that leads us. I'm kind of leaning towards more of an eventual reef setup with little critters than a tank full of fish.

Welcome, and Best of Luck with the new Tank. I Remember my 20G Long which was Fish and Live Rock. I loved that Tank, been 4 years sine and waiting to set it up once I have more room. Salt is little more costly and Harder but way worth the effort it tanks. Best of Luck!

Back
Top Bottom