Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
BigJim nailed it. Its like a cat could fit in a copier box but you don't see people keeping them in them for extended periods of time. No room to exercise, let a lone even move around. Same thing goes for fish.

meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I agree with most of BigJim's views. It is not a good idea keep goldfish in small tanks, but it is possible. I once placed 4 goldfish (10-12 cm) in a 8g tank for 3 months (isolation purpose) without any problems .... it even laid eggs in the third month. Perhaps you should check your filters or you may be over feeding them.

Goldfish will feed on practically anything, including plants. I would not suggest live plants in goldfish tank. But if you want, I suggest that you put in "hard leaf" plants not the soft types (I don't know their names)

indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
welcome fresh. just a little update. i came back from a week long vacation. i had my mom going to my home and feeding my fish everyday white i was gone. when i left the water was a little cloudy and slightly discolored. to my suprise when i got back from vacation the tank water was suprisingly clean. with only a small amount of algea but it was the same amount i noticed before i left. =)
Jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
maybe she fed them way less then you...
Sometimes life is best left to it's own devices.
If your not happy at what you're looking at, you're looking at it the wrong way.
My 320g tank build in progress watch at ---> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/320g-build-journey-experiment-128784.html
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
welcome buddy.
josiahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie
You might consider using your 10 gallon tank as a filtration sump set up with a 200 to 500 gallon per hour submersible pump which pumps water from the 10 gallon sump via 1/2" PVC pipe up into your 55 gallon tank. By using a 1 1/4" PVC DIY overflow for the return from your 55 gallon fish tank back to the sump you'll have outstanding water circulation and filtration with quiet operation. I keep only goldfish and Koi and with this set up including under-gravel filtration, a wet-dry drip or trickle filter in a 10 gallon sump with a 500 gallon per hour submersible pump as well as a large aqua-tec external filter, my tanks are doing very well. My fish are healthy and plump and the water in my tanks is clean, sweet smelling and clear. I do religious 10 gallon water changes every 7 days and add aquarium salt in the amount of one and a half rounded teaspoons to every 5 gallons of water. It helps with the general overall health of the fish and tank and I highly recommend it for Koi and goldfish. I never allow direct sunlight to fall on the tanks. I vacuum the gravel at the bottom of the tank and remove 10 gallons of this dirty water into two 5 gallon jugs. I keep two 5 gallon jugs of fresh treated water with aquarium salt added on hand to refill the tank after clean-up. This way there is no issue in possibly upsetting the bio-balance of the wet-dry drip filter. In past I've only had problems when I neglected to follow the rules of cleanliness. I never feed live food and I always feed three times a day with a variety of flake and pellets. The use of a sump tank for biological filtration, water circulation, temperature control and airation is probably the best idea for stopping most of the problems with fish tanks. Even so, I've found that water changes on a regular basis are key to problem free fish keeping. I also check the PH in my tanks every week keeping my eye on nitrate levels at the same time. I use multi-purpose test strips for this and they let me know exactly what's up with water chemistry so I can adjust it as needed. I also use a large air stone in all of my tanks and also insure that I have strong air flow to the small air stones in the under-gravel filter system. There is also a large air stone in the sump. To achieve this I use two dual air pumps for a total of four feed lines per 55 gallon tank including the sump. One line goes to the sump, one the the large stone in the tank and two lines split to feed the four stones in the undergravel filter. I have three inches of gravel at the back of the tank tapering down to one inch at the front of the tank. Again, I vacuum all of this gravel every 7 days when I do the water changes. See my Post entitled "Greetings from Roseville, CA" to read more about my set-up. I only keep goldfish and Koi because I love them. I take pride in my fish and try to always improve the art of fish-keeping by implementing the latest ideas.
Best and warmest of regards, Frank / fj109

fj109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Yo! | Hello! »