Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Jai
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new and in need of major help =D

hello everyone. i got a tank for my gf about a month ago as a gift. its a small 10 gallon and we learned that sticking to many goldfish in such a small tank is not a good idea. we had 4 different kinds of fancy goldfish and a betta.

we lost 2 of the gold fish so now its just the betta, a lionhead goldfish and a black moor goldfish. around the time the other gold fish died i had an outbreak of green algea and the water was getting really cloudy. they died after i lost power and the water was not filtering for about 24hours. we had a really bad storm.

i recently replaced almost all the water but from what i read up tonight that was not the best idea since i lost most of the bacteria that breaks down waste. i cleaned all the algea in the tank but a day later it was already growing back. the water is cloudy and yellow again but not as bad but before. im wondering if the water will continue to get cloudy and what should i do to control the yellow color while building up the stuff that breaks down waste.

now im limiting the amount of direct light it will be getting to get the algae undercontrol. but im wondering if getting some kind of algea eater is a smart choice and if so what kind, or is it best just to try to get rid of the algea and keep just the 3 fish in that tank.
i hav also removed the decorations i had in the tank because i found that they were not safe for the fish. i hav a few smooth rocks in the bottom of the tank but no hidding places. i want to introduce live plants into the tank. i was wondering if you guys have any suggesting on the kind of planst to get, if plants are good for the fish that are in there now. i really dont want to lose anymore fish due to my negligence and inexperience so im tryin to set everything up properly so i can raise our fish to be healthy.
i do plan that once fish get to big to move them to a 30 gallon at the least.

also my main goal through all this is to setup a salt water aquarium. my girlfriend is in love with puffers so we are planning to set one up but we are trying our hand at maintaining this tank before we make any more mistakes. we are most definitely going to take a more educated and researched way from now one.

lastly, we did acquire a large tank. the only thing we are worried about is that we got it used (for free) and it was being used a terrarium. now its 48L x 12W x 20H i believe its a 55 gallon but im honestly guessing. and the glass seems to be a 1/4 inch thick

i am trying to determine if this creally was an aquarium, i live on a second floor apartment and i really dont want 55 gallons of water bursting seeping through the floor while im not home =/

thnx in advance for the advice.

-Jai

Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Sticking any goldfish in a 10g is a BAD idea. Goldfish are very messy and grow very large. Even a feeder goldfish will reach 12"+ in length. Keeping goldfish in a small tank will stunt their growth and most likely kill them. I would try to rehome the goldfish immediately.

Replacing your water (Doing a partial water change (PWC)) will not get rid of many bacteria. The good nitrifying bacteria live on surfaces in your filter and tank. PWCs are a good thing.

Your water is cloudy and yellow because the fish are swimming in a high concentration of their own urine. If you do a PWC daily or twice a day, your water should start clearing up. Getting rid of the goldfish will cure your problem.

Good job on limiting the direct sunlight. You're having algae problems because you have a lot of fertilizer (nitrates from fish waste) in the tank. More PWCs would help. Otocinclus are good algae eaters for a small tank, but they'd die from the poor water quality.

Plants are very good for fish to hide in, but many plants commonly sold aren't fully aquatic or they need fairly intense lighting. If you're set on live plants, start with anacharis. It's a low-light plant that grows nicely.

I'd hold off on trying a puffer tank until you've had some more experience. Puffers are aggressive little beasts that really need brackish water to do well. Get your 10g established and running well.

Nice score on the 55g. Off the top of my head, I'd say the glass is thick enough to be an aquarium. Generally terrariums are shorter and wider. Take a look at the silicone seams on the inside of the tank. If they're not shrunken, shriveled, or yellowed, I'd test fill the aquarium and keep a close eye on it. If the silicone isn't in great shape, take a razorblade and remove all the silicone inside the tank. Reseal it with aquarium-safe silicone. Look for clear 100% silicone without any fungicides. I believe GE-I is a commonly used brand. The stuff at your local fish stores (LFS) is hideously expensive. Go to Home Depot, etc.

Sorry for a bunch of negativity in response to your first post. Don't get discouraged. It's a common misconception that goldfish can be kept in small tanks. Keep at it and you'll find your way.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Jai
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thans for all the advice BigJim, dont worry about the negative comments, i didnt know what i was doing so im trying to save the fish i have now. what do you think of housing the gold fish and betta in a 30 gallon? also can i introduce the plants into the tank now or will it die with the poor quality water, its bare right now since the decorations were not safe and i dont want to stress the fish since they have no where to hide. im trying to get a larger tank just trying to budget stuff out since ill be leaving to florida in the next week =)

also yea the 55g tank's seals are all holding strong and are not discolored or torn in anyway. im gonna stick it in the tub and fill it with water to check for leeks but it does seem like a legit aquarium.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The betta would be fine in the 10g. The goldfish, unfortunately, really need a tank in the 90g+ range to do well.

Plants would be fine. They'll actually help somewhat with water quality.

Be careful with putting the tank in the tub. If the tank isn't supported evenly, it can crack. Make sure the entire plastic frame is sitting on the bottom of the tub with no gaps.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

welcome to AA.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dont have much to add... BigJim pretty much covered all the basics...

so Welcome!!! and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm a new member too, and I'm having some very similar problems. I'm learning alot from the responses on your thread, because I just visited a website where someone claimed to have been breeding goldfish successfully in a 3-5 gallon tank. I have two fantails in my tank, and I think it's around 10-12 gallons, and the water is very cloudy. However, in the past, I have had four or five goldfish at a time in a 15 gallon tank and encountered no problems until my plecos died. A friend of mine also has a fantail in a 2 gallon tank. The water is clear and the fish is happy. I don't know why we both struck out with our goldfish, but I'm sure there is some underlying cause.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gold fish are very hardy. That's why they'll survive in tank that's much too small. Try testing your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I think you'll be shocked.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Yo! | Hello! »