New and just starting my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyoung

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I am new to the site, and new to this hobby/ sport. My husband and I are in the process of setting up a 70 gallon salt water tank.

We have hired someone to come help us set up the tank and teach us a few things. I am trying to research as much as possible to ensure that I have good, reliable information. I hate to jump into anything, and this is an expensive hobby, so I hate to do it wrong.

Any advice would be helpful. We just put water, sediment, and salt in our tank tonight. We will be looking for live rock in the next couple of days.

Thank you!

Welcome to the hobby!
If adductive it can do more damage to your pocket than shopping.:)

1. Make sure your tank is leveled.
2. Salt has a way of getting into floor and walls and all around the tank. So better on hardwood or tile nnnooo to carpet.
3. Go very slow. Even slower.

Enjoy:)

Ps: post pics

We did make sure that it is level. In fact, we had to add shims to level it completely.

I was wondering about the salt effecting the walls. Any advice on that? Just keep wiping the wall down?

Trust me, I am trying to make sure I do everything correctly. As much as I would love to just start adding fish. I would hate for them to die because I can't stand looking at an empty tank.

My husband took a picture tonight (we are trying to document the whole process), so I will post as soon as he gets it to me!

Thank you

Welcome, neighbor! I'm kind of new to this too. I live in Cypress, &the my son &the his wife& kids live in Conroe. I had a saltwater 125G tank in the 90'snear and did not have problems with the walls. However, the carpet suffered somewhat from the water &the salt. How big is your tank? And what do you plan for it? Again, welcome. You will love this site. I'm learning so much here, and you will too.

starquest said:
Welcome, neighbor! I'm kind of new to this too. I live in Cypress, &the my son &the his wife& kids live in Conroe. I had a saltwater 125G tank in the 90'snear and did not have problems with the walls. However, the carpet suffered somewhat from the water &the salt. How big is your tank? And what do you plan for it? Again, welcome. You will love this site. I'm learning so much here, and you will too.

I have a 70 gallon tank. Right now we are just planning on a tank with live rock and fish. Eventually, I would like to add some coral, but I want to get established in one area before I dive into another. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Its great to hear that you are so enthusiastic and that you really want to do your research!

Back
Top Bottom