Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishySwarz View Post
I feed the plants weekly, haven't committed to co2, something else I need to look into deeper and I wasn't aware of the RO mineral problem. Something else to fill my time
Just read up about it because I'm for sure not an expert!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I will, hope we haven't confuse lukerom

Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishySwarz View Post
I will, hope we haven't confuse lukerom
im sure he must be a bit confused haha, you're a unique aquarist...
Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok so I purchased the API master test kit. This is the readings PH-7.6, PH high- 8.2, Ammonia- .25ppm, Nitrite- 0ppm, Nitrate- 0ppm. So what do I do from here? I guess it sounds like I should do a water change but how much and why is my nitrite and nitrate so low, guess its not a bad thing. Do I use distilled water or do I treat my tap water?

Thanks for all the feed back.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukerom View Post
Ok so I purchased the API master test kit. This is the readings PH-7.6, PH high- 8.2, Ammonia- .25ppm, Nitrite- 0ppm, Nitrate- 0ppm. So what do I do from here? I guess it sounds like I should do a water change but how much and why is my nitrite and nitrate so low, guess its not a bad thing. Do I use distilled water or do I treat my tap water?

Thanks for all the feed back.
Don't do a water change unless the ammonia reaches .50ppm. Yes whenever you change water just do a partial change of no more than 50% for now. Yes treat your tap water with water conditioner. Your tank is still cycling and has a way to go. Ammo (toxic at high levels) converts to nitrites (very toxic) and then converts to nitrates (non toxic unless its very very high)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Do I do anything about the PH levels being so high? Do I just let the tank keep going until the ammonia and nitrite go up then do a water change or should I do one soon anyway? Also is there anything I can do to help while I wait, like temp of water or additives and how often should I test the water during the cycle?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukerom View Post
Do I do anything about the PH levels being so high? Do I just let the tank keep going until the ammonia and nitrite go up then do a water change or should I do one soon anyway? Also is there anything I can do to help while I wait, like temp of water or additives and how often should I test the water during the cycle?
testing the water daily should do, your ph is ok, most community fish will adapt just fine, you should do a water change anytime your am or trites hit .5ppm, a 50% wc will lower them to .25 which is ok for the cycle. Only additives should be water conditioner during changes, temp match new water.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to brooksters advice. Most fish adapt to pH that isn't as ideal as we'd like it to be but fish do better in a not ideal pH than a swinging pH. Make sure to keep on top of water changes to keep your fish healthy. As to your algae eater, what kind is he? Plecos (I have found out) are notorious for hiding all the time. All I ever see of mine is the tip of his tail and his whiskers (he's a bristlenose).

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com